scagger Posted By scagger, Sep 9, 2018 at 10:38 PM

1. scagger

scagger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Central MA
    My Quad Castile insert is leaking smoke around vent pipe attached to the stove. The gasket that is supposed to seal the stove to the vent pipe adapter is relatively new, but has never sealed right from day 1. I used some Rutland sealant on both sides of the gasket last year which helped, but of course I have to break that seal each time I do a proper cleaning of the vent pipe. Does anyone else have to use sealant on the stove or should the gasket be enough?

2. Jhawknseattle

Jhawknseattle
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 24, 2017
    Loc:
    Lake Stevens (Seattle), WA
    I had a professional install on mine and mine leaks. They told me it had something to do with the manufacturer making a crappy cap, I have used that aluminum tape to seal it off.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Daveman

Daveman
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 22, 2014
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Yep, agree...aluminum high heat tape is your friend here...I have it around my cleanout cap.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bogieb

bogieb
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2014
    Loc:
    South Central NH
    I tape every joint before even firing the stove. Am currently in the process of moving my basement stove. Need to get a 6" piece of exhaust to finish off the install. Will tape as soon as I have it together. It really doesn't matter if it "should" leak. It matters that I am proactive on making sure it doesn't.

5. Wooden Head

Wooden Head
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2009
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    Try silicone Tape. Much easier to remove when needed.