Smoke leaking from adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scagger

Oct 4, 2008
Central MA
My Quad Castile insert is leaking smoke around vent pipe attached to the stove. The gasket that is supposed to seal the stove to the vent pipe adapter is relatively new, but has never sealed right from day 1. I used some Rutland sealant on both sides of the gasket last year which helped, but of course I have to break that seal each time I do a proper cleaning of the vent pipe. Does anyone else have to use sealant on the stove or should the gasket be enough?

I had a professional install on mine and mine leaks. They told me it had something to do with the manufacturer making a crappy cap, I have used that aluminum tape to seal it off.

I had a professional install on mine and mine leaks. They told me it had something to do with the manufacturer making a crappy cap, I have used that aluminum tape to seal it off.

Yep, agree...aluminum high heat tape is your friend here...I have it around my cleanout cap.

I tape every joint before even firing the stove. Am currently in the process of moving my basement stove. Need to get a 6" piece of exhaust to finish off the install. Will tape as soon as I have it together. It really doesn't matter if it "should" leak. It matters that I am proactive on making sure it doesn't.