smoke smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2mande

Apr 2, 2008
mi
One of our pellet stoves is an englander the 1500 sq ft model and the last week we have noticed a slight smoke smell when that stove is running. You put your head behind the stove and up the venting and you can smell the smoke smell but we have sealed and sealed every possible thing we can think of and it still smells. We have gone through a whole thing of fireplace sealer that you use a caulk gun to apply. I can't figure out where it's coming from. Any help? I have moved the carbon monoxide detector closer and that is fine, it's just an annoying smoke smell and it's driving me nuts.

Is this a new problem or has it always happened? Have you cleaned the stove AND venting system out?

Happened when we first installed it, sealed all the joints and that took care of the problem. Here we are 4 months later with it being perfect and now the last week we are smelling the smoke smell again. Cleaned out the venting(the clean out T, brushed the inside of the venting ect and then the normal stove maintance) and everything imaginable 2 days ago hoping that would solve it but no such luck.

What brand of venting is it? If its Simpson, do you have a round cap or a hood type cap.

It is Simpson/duravent. I actually have what they call a jet out tip. Its just a straight shot out, supposed to be the best to use.

Simpson doesn't make such a cap that I am aware of, did they just stick the pipe out there with no cap maybe? Anyway that is not really relevant. I only asked about the cap to determine if you have the old Simpson pellet pipe or the new Pellet Pro. If you have any stickers on your pipe, the Pro part numbers have "PVP" in them.

The reason I asked about this is because we have also had some smoke leakage issues with the Pellet Pro venting. I called Simpson on one of them and they shipped me out a new batch of pipe for free. Our showroom model still smokes a little but I can see it coming out of the vent adaptor, drives me nuts!

I'm having the same problem with my Summers heat 1500 sq ft stove..Smell it right at the door when it first starts. And it seems in the back. The door is tight. I even siliconed around the exhaust blower motor..Called tech support and they sent me a whole new exhaust blower..Anyone else call...Interesting that I am not the only one..God Bless...Kim

I would try looking with a bright flashlight on start-up when the stove is full of smoke. Usually you can see the smoke trail coming from the leakage point, but you will have to be quick. With the simpson pipe I have found the clean-out caps leak on the very bottom where the stainless insert is. If this is the case tape around the cap with aluminum tape and fold it in, to stick to the stainless insert. You might also want to tape all the joints with the high temp aluminum tape also, even where the clean-out cap goes on. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.