Smoked babybacks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
My neighbor let me try his smoker.
Wow! These were incredible.
Dry rub with 24 hour brew, 6 hours in the smoke at 220 with apple wood.
I bought my own smoker today.

IMG_1257.jpg

Those look terrible. I would not eat those, ever. ;) (Didn't work...still hungry.)

Reactions: n3pro and bfunk13
Oh - now you dun opened up Pandora's Box. Do yourself a favor and throw a batch of jerky in there. Hang it from tooth pics to maximize space and keep even distribution. Thank me later.

Shoulders should be next on your list. Just set aside 14 hours that you don't need and get to smokin'.;)

I love my smoker.
100_1436.jpg

bfunk, is it electric, gas or wood fired? Which is the best???

What do you want to do? Electric is a very consistent temp, but often not adjustable (and often underpowered). Gas can also be consistent, is typically temp controlled, but LP has a BUNCH of moisture in it. This can be both good and bad, depending on what you are doing. Wood/Charcoal fired - most authentic, most difficult. Control depends on design and user. You will NEVER get a better shoulder than one that is properly done on a wood fired smoker.

You will NEVER get a better shoulder than one that is properly done on a wood fired smoker.
Jags yours looks like the 8th wonder of the world, I am assuming it is wood fired, what brand is it, I'm in the market for one, love smoked items!

Reactions: bfunk13 and ScotO
Mine can be both LP fired and/or wood fired. The brand is Jags Unlimited - I custom built that one.;lol Started out as a food grade bread rack for a bakery.
100_1437.jpg

On the inside you can see all the rack adjustments. I like having the ability to adjust the height from the heat. As an example, jerky needs slow and low (I stay 150F or under) and needs to dehydrate as well. I will hang that almost at the top of the smoker. Shoulders start out closer to the heat to create the bark and then get moved up for the rest of the duration.

Edit: I also have a Coleman charcoal smoker and a large fuel barrel conversion smoker (for whole hogs and BIG parties).

Damn.

My project for the end of the summer will be a wood fired pizza oven/smoker. Not sure it will have that much rack space, which would be nice once in a while, as I'd like to experiment with recipes (habanero jelly in a glaze...)

Damn.

My project for the end of the summer will be a wood fired pizza oven/smoker. Not sure it will have that much rack space, which would be nice once in a while, as I'd like to experiment with recipes (habanero jelly in a glaze...)

Think pork chops - I know I am. Gonna get done yet this week since I just recently acquired a jar of the stuff.;)

I don't think I will break out the smoker for it, will probably do an indirect heat with smoke on my grill (the big stainless biotch you can see to the left in my first pic). I will hand cut the chops from a loin for a nice thick cut.

Sorry Bfunk - I didn't mean to grab on to your post. You have just hit on a very passionate subject for me.

Dammit.....is it suppertime yet? I'm guilty just like the rest of you guys when it comes to posting pics of wood-fired food.......

But, DAMMIT!

Reactions: bfunk13
Looks like time to fire up the redneck meat smoker. I want me some ribs.

brownie smoker.JPG

This is electric.
I am new to this so don't know much yet.
I do know for ease of operation electric is the way to go.
I did end up getting this 40" masterbuilt electric on order.
Should be plenty good for all i do. I am sure this is my new food addiction.
My neighbor is quite the smoker, he makes everything from brisket, fish, ribs, turkey, game hens, etc. Luckily i get a taste of everything.

41yu+p3F07L._SY450_.jpg

Reactions: ScotO and Defiant
Get all your old Income Tax records outta that middle drawer before you fire it up. !!!

I love that goofy looking Sunday afternoon "why not" thing. Drawers exactly fit dollar store broiling pans and one load in the Spring and one load in the Falls fills the freezer until the next time. And a 4.3. cu firebox makes 14 hour burns a cakewalk.

I was holding off a few years ago for a day with the wind going the right way so it wouldn't smoke out the neighbor 100 or so yards behind it. And he came up and gave me some crap about the saws running. Two days later his house was enveloped in a cloud of smoke for 14 hours. The ribs, butts and chickens were fantastic.

He'd prob'ly like to smoke yer butt! !!!

He'd prob'ly like to smoke yer butt! !!!

She smoked his butt two years ago. Guy was a wood floor contractor. When she canned him two all night parties for his employees blaring Salvadorian music all night long every year ended.

And yes I waded into one of them offering to embarrass him in front of his employees by him getting his ass kicked by a scrawny old man. ;lol

She smoked his butt two years ago. Guy was a wood floor contractor. When she canned him two all night parties for his employees blaring Salvadorian music all night long every year ended.

And yes I waded into one of them offering to embarrass him in front of his employees by him getting his ass kicked by a scrawny old man. ;lol

ETA: That dude could have wiped me out with one hand.

Bfunk - that looks like a mighty nice smoker unit. Is it temp controlled?
yeah, set it and walk away, the one i borrowed is much like this, same brand, very easy to use.
This one is 40" tall. Plenty big for what i need.

Cool beans. If there is one thing I can suggest...get some time on it. The best way to learn it, is to use it.

Cool beans. If there is one thing I can suggest...get some time on it. The best way to learn it, is to use it.
I agree, although it shouldn't be a problem as i love to cook and eat and experiment. And easily get obsessed with things i enjoy.

Reactions: Jags and Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.