Smoking Harman P35I hopfully solved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aries412

Dec 9, 2011
Oregon
I was searching this forum to see if anyone was having smoking issues with their inserts. We just had a Harman P35I insert installed and after the initial burn off period we smelled smoke. Because it was evening we went to the internet to see if we could find any answers. We didn't really find anything that was exactly what we had going on, so we shut the stove down and called the installer the next day. He came right out, pulled the stove insert out of the fireplace to check and make sure every thing was sealed as it should be. He couldn't find anything wrong. He said to give it a real hot burn for a couple of hours, and if not better in 12-24 let him know. The dealer said the same, so being pellet stove newbies we took them to know what they were talking about. After work last night, we once again fired it up. Instantly we could smell smoke coming from the combustion blower in front. The hotter the fire was, the less smoke, but it was still there, and we knew something was wrong. We couldn't see smoke, but we could smell it. Knowing that we didn't want a house full of smoke once again we shut it down, and called the dealer first thing this morning. He immediately came out. Walked into our house and said "Wow! You've got a leak". He called the installer who was in the area and too came right over. They had us start the stove and now you could visibly see smoke. Long story short, it appears we got a malfunctioning Harman P35I. It's currently sitting cold in our fireplace, and a new insert is on its way. It's 27degrees out right now and our poor tired, struggling, on it's last leg heat pump is chugging along trying to keep up. Sure hopes the new insert arrives soon. On the bright side, our house was warm and toasty, albeit smokey. ;-)

glad you found your problem. Sorry the insert is running cold. Sounds like you received some good customer support which in today's age, is worth having that heat pump limp along until things are made right.

Stay warm!

I'm moving this to the pellet room for you.

pen

Just a follow up:
Our new P35I was installed yesterday. It turns out the initial one was missing a weld which was discovered by the dealer who did a smoke bomb testing. Harman wanted him to "fix" the weld. He refused and a replacement was sent. But we're still having issues w/smoke smell. Not like before where you could visibly see smoke, but you can smell it when the fire dies down. Called dealer, they once again came right out. They even threw a smoke bomb in the stove looking for leaks and nothing. So we ignited the stove again. The installer who was here also said he thought he could smell smoke, but it was a brief whiff, which I agreed. The dealer Said he didn’t smell smoke, but rather the curing process. OK, its been almost 24hrs (we did hot burn for total of 6-8 hrs). Still smoke smell on low fire. The exhaust and OAK are installed up through the chimney, so we closed off the OAK to see if it was drawing smoke down through the exhaust vent, It didn't make a difference. We are at our wits end. Is this an issue, or are we crazy? We find ourselves getting a little OCD with constantly sniffing the vents and surrounding area of the stove.
This is a repeat posting to a reply I submitted to someone who asked about vents close together. Sorry for the repeat, I'm just looking for answers.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.