Snap Disc and Control Rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stmar

Sep 12, 2014
Wyo
I replaced the fire eye with a snap disc a few years ago and it works decent. Lately I have been getting some defaults when the stove starts, assume the disc is not getting hot enough on the start up sometimes. I have not touched the disc since I installed it, should it be cleaned or do they deteriorate and need to be replaced periodically.

Another subject: Has anyone ever had their control panel rebuilt? If so how did it turn out and who did you use? I replaced mine a while back and have the bad one and wondered if it would be worth having it fixed so that I have a spare.

Snap switches can get weak,and do strange stuff. Sometimes they just fail.
My stoves are my main heat, so I have a spare for my Integra, because I survived the era back when Austria refused to send parts to the US(had to make my own auger bushings), and,now having a Harman, my potentiometers died, and I wanted to have the newer programming, got new board, repaired the old one. Anyway, I can think of 1 place that repairs, and Don has a place he works with.Will leave links.

Thanks for the info, I think I ordered my last control board from those folks so I will contact them, it would be handy to have a spare board. Will probably get another snap switch to replace the current one, a spare may not be a bad idea since they are only $10 or so.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Just wanted to follow up: When cleaning the stove I decided to pull the snap disc and check it out. It had a carbon build up so I cleaned it off. So far no defaults after about 20 cycles. I guess the disc needs to be cleaned periodically, will do a cleaning when I do my pre season deep clean.