Snout Collar Connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berner

Feeling the Heat
Feb 1, 2012
Eastern, MA
Has anyone gunked up the connection between the snout and stove collar with furnace cement or high temp silicone?

I have a Tee that doesn't fit the stove collar perfectly. I added some furnace cement to the very end of the Tee so it has a tighter fit into the snout. However I'm still worried some room temperature air is getting pulled into the exaust.

I did my first cleaning with the new insulated Liner and I was very pleased. Got about one cup of black powder after 1.5 cords burned. Ideally I won't have to take the Tee out of the snout for the foreseeable future. This helps with the idea of inserting the Tee and then adding furnace cement or silicone to the connection.

Thoughts?

That area gets too hot for any silicone. Furnace cement is better but it had a tendency to crumble and fall out so keep an eye on it. Another solution is to fill the gap with stove gasket material, then follow with the furnace cement. The gasket material will help block air leakage and it will give the furnace cement something more to adhere to.

Reactions: leco
That area gets too hot for any silicone. Furnace cement is better but it had a tendency to crumble and fall out so keep an eye on it. Another solution is to fill the gap with stove gasket material, then follow with the furnace cement. The gasket material will help block air leakage and it will give the furnace cement something more to adhere to.

Sounds good. Is it common practice to clean a rear exit without disconnecting the Tee? I Just popped the bottom clean out lid off and reached up the snout with a brush. The soot eater reached from the top all the way down to the clean out lid. I was pretty happy with the results.

Yes, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.