Snow blower harness . Can I fix it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
My snow blower started to act strange this year. Electric chute was not moving fast enough, light was dim. Finally, the black part on a harness gave up giving a lot of smoke. Whole harness with chute joystick and this part costs $120. I'm wondering if I can replace this part ans save some money.

What it does anyway? I'll post pictures in next post.

Make ? Model ? pics... were not wizards...==c

Reactions: VirginiaIron
My snow blower started to act strange this year. Electric chute was not moving fast enough, light was dim. Finally, the black part on a harness gave up giving a lot of smoke. Whole harness with chute joystick and this part costs $120. I'm wondering if I can replace this part ans save some money.

What it does anyway? I'll post pictures in next post.

I would imagine if it is part of a harness it is some sort of electrical harness, based on the rest of your post. It may be a bad ground wire issue. I’m guessing you can rewire as needed. This harness you mention, may just be a loom of wires. Once you open it up you may be able to narrow it down further. But as the previous reply stated, we don’t have a lot of information to go on. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would open up the harness and see if you can repair it by splicing in new wires.

Guys, sorry,
9785E348-3DC9-4548-8F86-DD6A31C798BC.jpeg
51E99283-E9F2-4DF4-B251-E1E05BED5FF6.jpeg
40847439-C4B5-4980-AEF1-77930F63F896.jpeg
09800683-B365-434A-A572-EA0DC8AE433C.jpeg
46903A24-551F-4778-92DE-E309C5537637.png
I my pictures didn’t download for some reason

C4D75819-BED1-400F-8CF1-DFB938DF4F7F.jpeg
Sorry , I would never post question with so little info. The pictures just didn’t download . Here is one more . Yellow arrow points at wires that go to alternator , red wires that go to chute control, lights etc

It's easy to fix that with a handful of spade connectors- but the question is, "why did it melt?".

If you're lucky, it faulted because it wasn't making good contact inside the connector, and you can just cut it out and put new connectors on it (be sure to document what wire goes to what other wires when disassembling). That'll cost you less than $20 for a couple of packages of spade connectors and a piece of heat shrink.

That’s what I thought and then I cut the “ black box” and there’s some electric sh...t inside . I guesss I would be easier to buy new harness.

Attachments

• 1294AF97-0447-4586-931C-52B4A45A1477.jpeg
    1294AF97-0447-4586-931C-52B4A45A1477.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 222
Well, the picture's not good, but I see a 25 cent power transistor and a package that I can't read the writing on. I really doubt that replacing the rest of the stuff on that board is going to bring you up to $100.

It's easy to fix that with a handful of spade connectors- but the question is, "why did it melt?".

If you're lucky, it faulted because it wasn't making good contact inside the connector, and you can just cut it out and put new connectors on it (be sure to document what wire goes to what other wires when disassembling). That'll cost you less than $20 for a couple of packages of spade connectors and a piece of heat shrink.

Why did it melt? Easy question, I used to see it all the time in the old style fuse boxes on trucks. A little corrosion at the connection causes an arc at the connector, the process continues and you have both no connection and melted plastic.

Any auto parts store should have a universal connector with at least 4 wires that will work just fine.

Reactions: kevin j
you can buy some metri-pack connectors at an auto store and replace it all but the real issue is what the circuitry is and what it’s doing and where it’s connected. it might be rectifying and voltage regulation combined into the connector instead of having separate components but that’s above my pay grade

rectifier and a relay. i would just buy a new harness if it was me, you would have new wires and new connections. thats what happens when this corrodes and if you patch it its just going to go again in a short time

Reactions: kevin j
That must be the motor controller. Yes it maybe PC board with $15 of parts, but it's a part you can only get from the manufacture. So $100 sounds cheep. There maybe another issue that caused this. Was there anytime you were moving it and it was jamed up?

Quick search indicated one website said the electronic chute controllers are a major source of trouble and recommended going gear