snow blower ??? old arians with a 7 hp snow king

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
hey guys found an old ariens snow blower over the weekend the owner said it would only run at full choke so i got the carb rebuild kit and new gaskets BUT i broke the goernor rod and forgot where the governer spring goes to (i know it goes on the butterfly) it runs now without the full choke

any idea how i should adjust the carb and reattach the governor as the speed just seems wide open and oil was coming out of the drain tube

btw it's a 7 hp techumsa snow king engine

Thanks

Stevebass4 said:
hey guys found an old ariens snow blower over the weekend the owner said it would only run at full choke so i got the carb rebuild kit and new gaskets BUT i broke the goernor rod and forgot where the governer spring goes to (i know it goes on the butterfly) it runs now without the full choke

any idea how i should adjust the carb and reattach the governor as the speed just seems wide open and oil was coming out of the drain tube

btw it's a 7 hp techumsa snow king engine

Thanks

This site may help:

http://www.tecumsehpower.com/frameset.php?page=Recall/index.php

Good Luck,

Ray

Also check out The Best Lawnmower and Snowblower Forum - they have lots of snowblower folks on there - they do for OPE like the Hearth does for wood burners... I've gotten a lot of advice about fixing my own Tec engine equipment there.

Gooserider

great thanks guys!! found a small engine guy who will come by and fix the governor linkage for me but i'll save the link to other forum

Gooserider said:
Also check out The Best Lawnmower and Snowblower Forum - they have lots of snowblower folks on there - they do for OPE like the Hearth does for wood burners... I've gotten a lot of advice about fixing my own Tec engine equipment there.

Gooserider

Thanx for the link I just registered there as I have a couple questions..

Ray

goose - reading that other site

are you happy with the clarence impeller kit??

Stevebass4 said:
goose - reading that other site

are you happy with the clarence impeller kit??

Up until this morning I wouldn't have been able to answer that at all...

I only got it a couple weeks ago, and just finished getting it installed recently - but hadn't had any snow to test it on. It was a bit of a challenge getting ahold of Clarence, (I needed a special kit - I have a 6 blade impeller, the standard kit comes w/ 4 blades) otherwise it was a pleasure dealing with him. The installation was straightforward, although somewhat of a PITA just from the challenge of getting at the impeller to work on it. The instructions that came with the kit were generic, but quite clear and covered the installation process well - I think any reasonably competent wrench would have no problems.

However I did a very limited test this AM, - we had a storm that came through and dumped 2-3 inches of snow, then turned to rain, with the result that this morning I had about an inch of slush that was mostly water. Very marginal, if I hadn't been chomping at the bit to try the kit, I probably wouldn't have bothered with it, just let it melt...

However I fired up the machine, and was VERY impressed! Without the kit, it would have been "clog city", forget about throwing left or ahead, majorly nasty to deal with. With the kit, I still had some clogs, and was partly clogged most of the time, but it was pretty much self clearing any time I got enough slush into the bucket to build up some pressure. When it did throw, I was able to shoot in any direction, and was getting distances with the slush that were comparable to what I was getting pre-kit with average snow.

I have the impression that it would have done better with more snow, as I got better results when I was running in higher gear. Based on this limited test, along with all the other positive reports (I have seldom seen a product as unanimously and strongly endorsed) I think it's well worth it...

Gooserider

awesome thanks for the review - i guess i'll order the kit

Status
Not open for further replies.