Snow guards on wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

valleyfire

Sep 10, 2018
Massachusetts
I built a 5' x 12' wood shed with MasterRib metal roofing on a 30 degree slope. This is the first winter I have had it, and today a foot of snow slid off it all at once. My small kids like to play around it, so I'd like to err on the side of safety and put some sort of snow guards on. Are the Gutter Supply no. 100 stainless snow guards the best bet? The plastic options seem flimsy. How many would I need? Is 18" spacing close enough for this application? The installation instructions seem to say 15" spacing with multiple rows, but that seems like overkill for the shed.

I push the snow off the roof of my shed when the snow is still soft. It did slide on me once when unloading wood. Not fun! More then anything I don’t want the snow to damage the roof. It’s snowing out really hard right now and I just pushed off a few inches. I’ll probably have to do that a couple more times today.

This should do the trick...our local supplier bend their own and make them a complete triangle which makes them very strong....given your roof sheet length is not very long, you should do fine with these. They screw on top of the rib then must "bite" into a run of strapping. If you put them JUST thru the metal they will tear off Pronto.

Reactions: valleyfire
This telescoping roof rake that I use is great for getting snow off roofs.

ref=sr_1_5

Its 5x12, not a lot of snow to fall, kids would prob think its fun to get "accidently hit" by it