Snow tires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I'm afraid this may be a silly question- I want to get snow tires this year. The car is front wheel drive. I only need to get two, for the front wheels, right? Also, any thoughts as to the best ones to get?

"Best ones" . . . with snow tires, much like woodstoves, this is a rather subjective by and large.

Some brands that tend to pop up quite frequently include Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ices and General Altimax Arctics . . . but many, many folks swear by Nokian Hakkapeliiitas.

I suspect the truth is any snow tire will work better than running All Season tires . . . regardless of brand. Some snow tires may wear better, some may do better on ice and some may do well in wet slushy snow . . . but even the best snow tire will never be a replacement for driving cautiously and defensively when the weather is bad.

That said . . . I have a set of General Arctics on my Subaru WRX and they were fantastic last year and show little signs of wear . . . I don't think they are the "best" snow tires, but they are very good snow tires at a nice price compared to some brands.

Get 4 - and best if they're on their own rims. In the long run, it won't cost much, since you're not wearing your summer tires all winter, so they'll last longer. You want them on all 4 so the handling is consistent from front to rear of the car, especially important on slippery surfaces.

Get 4 snow tires for safety Better breaking and cornering control
on snow and ice .

If you have decent alloy rims, you can mount your snows on cheap steel rims which will keep your nice ones away from the salt.

Get 4. It is more dangerous to only have 2 snow tires that grab and the other 2 that will be sliding around.

I have had very good luck getting my Acura TSX around with 4 snow tires on steel rims and Hankook tires..and I'm in the snow belt..and live at the bottom of a gravel driveway.

Hunt a bit on craigslist and you might find exactly what you are looking for. It is really common for people to sell their snow tires separately when they trade a car in. That is how I scored mine for $400 and only 1 season of wear.

I found that used alloys can be not too expensive, as well. With the steel wheels you have to get wheel covers too, and the cheap ones aren't that good looking. I have snows on steelies on one car and alloys on the other two.

Nokia's Haks are the state tire of VT, Lots of junkers running around with tires worth as much as the car. They are tough to find in my area. I am running Michelin ice tires on my newest car.

Always change all 4 tires ...highly recommend hankook I-cept tires if you can get them..been running them for 5 years they are awesome tire

Oh I'm in Canada so we get a lil ice and snow now and then

Get 4 - and best if they're on their own rims. In the long run, it won't cost much, since you're not wearing your summer tires all winter, so they'll last longer. You want them on all 4 so the handling is consistent from front to rear of the car, especially important on slippery surfaces.

No, best is to buy a bad weather car and a good weather car. By your logic, it won't cost much in the long run, since you're not driving your bad weather car much. Best way to keep hellish NE road salt off your nice weather car, too! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, best is to buy a bad weather car and a good weather car. By your logic, it won't cost much in the long run, since you're not driving your bad weather car much. Best way to keep hellish NE road salt off your nice weather car, too! [emoji12]

I did that mod lol. Bought a $500 Cherokee for winter and drive the Wrangler in the summer. It's one of the previously mentioned tires are worth more than the rest vehicles.

I've had Bridgestone Blizzaks, Cooper Weathermaster, Mastercraft Courser M+S, Firestone Winterfire/Winterforce, Pacemark Snowtrakker and various all terrain tires. Can't say any were hands down better than the others.

As sportbikerider could attest, they call them 'winter rats' in Syracuse. At least they did 30 years ago when I lived in Oswego.

Financially, that doesn't work out. But I think most people that are doing this are doing it for peace of mind.

As sportbikerider could attest, they call them 'winter rats' in Syracuse. At least they did 30 years ago when I lived in Oswego.

I hear ya! But I drive both of my cars all year. My wife gets the 4WD late model SUV. I drive the super reliable Acura sedan with snows. The heated leather seats are heaven on a cold rear and sore back.
She's from NC, so when the weather is bad, she's not going anywhere...I take the SUV to work.

Perhaps I'd have a winter beater if I didn't have a log spliter, atv & trailer, lawnmower, pressure washer, table saw, chainsaw, 2 workbenches and 2 roll arounds in my 3rd bay of the garage.

Reactions: tlc1976
Financially, that doesn't work out. But I think most people that are doing this are doing it for peace of mind.
Yeah, just having some fun. My "good weather car" is not one I would want to attempt driving in snow. RWD, and all motor.

Perhaps I'd have a winter beater if I didn't have a log spliter, atv & trailer, lawnmower, pressure washer, table saw, chainsaw, 2 workbenches and 2 roll arounds in my 3rd bay of the garage.
You could probably also stack up 4 cords in there too, like I do!