So all the snow melted off the roof....liner inspection time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
So after a record cold January here in South Eastern Michigan we had a warm up. :coolsmile:

I went up on the roof pulled off the chimney cap and inspected my liner.

There was about 1/8" to 1/4" of creosote along the top 4" of the liner.

Below that was some flake soot and creosote powder down about 1' ft.

I brushed the liner and ended up with about 3 cups of creosote & soot in the firebox.

I have been burning the Englander 30 sense about the beginning of October.

Is this a normal amount?

Thank you, Hiram

Sounds like you are doing fine.

You are doing very well Hiram. I am also amazed that you aren't burning more wood this year than you are. Sounds like you have things under control. Hopefully the body is under control also.

Backwoods Savage said:
You are doing very well Hiram. I am also amazed that you aren't burning more wood this year than you are. Sounds like you have things under control. Hopefully the body is under control also.

Dennis,

My splits this year are about 4 times larger than last years! No joke!

Don't know if you remember me telling you that when my back was really bad I made the stupid mistake of making my splits like 2x4.

The body is doing remarkably better.....almost exactly one year to the day from when I had my disk replaced.

I replaced all the windows in my house this fall so the heat stays inside. :cheese:

I also have much better control over the stove and have learned to damper the stove all the way down.

Personally I think your stove still consumes less wood than mine.

Its certainly a learning process.

I appreciate your knowledge, and look forward to reading your posts.

From Left to Right: Standard 2x4, last years average split, and this years average split.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2hmpyqc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.