So begins the insulation pics !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

They are drilling holes right now to inject the insulation into our home YIPEEE here are some pics of the woodpecker effect it has lol!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,064
Reactions: zap
What type, cellulose?

it is actually Tripolymer Foam Insullation http://www.injectionfoam.com/default.aspx. This is what Dennis (BackwoodsSavage ) used so on his recommendation I researched the stuff and have found it to be very good. we have 4 inch walls it gives 20.4 R in a 4 inch awl which is amazing for our non insulated home.

Pete

Here are some more pics for you guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 948
They go through and clean the excess then put plugs in the wall to close the holes it is very efficient so far. More pics to come!
Pete

You're gonna be runnin round the house in your Spidey Tighties when thats all said and done. May even have to adjust burning protocol.
You won't regret going with foam , EVER !

Reactions: btuser
What does a job like that cost? I HAVE to do something like that at my place. Too much of my hard work is heating the outside.

Flatbedford said:
What does a job like that cost? I HAVE to do something like that at my place. Too much of my hard work is heating the outside.

It all depends on who you go with to be honest. We had quotes ranging from 3100 to 20,000 most of them where well over 10,000! Dennis recommended the guys who did mine and they did an excellent job. The house is already much much warmer and I can't hear a thing outside now either!!!!! The total was 3100

Pete

Here is the last pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 872
The injection went very well there where only 2 spots of flow through and I fully expected them going in. The attic is missing some panel on the wall and it flowed into the attic but is really (really ) easy to clean up so no biggy all you do is grab it and snap it comes off. The second was where our oak kit comes in for the stove and it just snapped of clean you can't even tell now. Think of a styrofoam cup and that is what it looks like cured when fresh it looks like shaving cream. It takes 72 hours to cure properly and it fills with tiny tiny air pockets when setup fully which is what provides the insulating factor. Our contractor was great he cleaned everything like new when he was done so there is no mess at all.

Pete

I'll have to do some shopping around. I am probably too far away to use your guys. :)

Great that you found somebody to do good work at a fair price.

Looks good and sounds like a great price.

Excellent. That should make a nice difference. Did they check each cavity for firestops or other blockage to prevent voids in the insulation? On the one-story side I only see a lower band of holes. Does this fill upward as well as downward?

Yes they can also work upward but it is best to go bottom up. Still, you have to have a way to get that stuff up at the top and this thing seems to do an excellent job. Pete sent me an email and was amazed. I warned him that when this company showed up they would have a large crew and would work rather quickly. It is not often one sees a crew of that size tackling a job and getting it done so quick. Nobody was standing around ever when they were here. They each had a job to do and they did not have to be told what and when to do it. A real pleasure to watch. Methinks Pete will be very happy.

BeGreen they did check for fire stops and anything else even found some old squirrel nests ! The single band was because they ran bottom up then top down on that room do to it only having 1/8" paneling as it is a mud room. They didn't want to burst the panel off the walls and did a great job of not bursting it. You can see the panel push out a tiny bit in one spot bot it wasn't bad at all and was easily fixed.

Dennis you are right they are like a bunch of busy bees at work never stopping just moving methodically along. They really knew what they where doing and finished quickly and efficiently.

Pete

Sounds good. Can't wait for the heating report next.

Dose this work if you have some fiberglass in the walls already or just in emty walls? I know I have some insulation but would like more. Frank

I have the same question. My walls are 6" with fiberglass. Would the foam compress the fiberglass and do some good?

fespo said:
Dose this work if you have some fiberglass in the walls already or just in emty walls? I know I have some insulation but would like more. Frank
yes it compresses the fiberglass down to an inch thickness. The only room in my house that had fiberglass was my mud room when we got up this morning it was acctually warm which has never ever been.

Pete

Nice work there. I'm sure it will be money well spent. (Not a bad price all at either from the looks of things.) I can see you using less firewood.

I've been thinking of having that done to my walls. My home was built in 1949 and has no insulation in the walls as far as I can tell. The exterior is limestone. Single story ranch, hip roof, full basement, 1100 square feel per level. I'm guessing that a crew would have to go from the inside considering the stone exterior. (And I just finished painting wall and ceiling, plus new oak trim for the living room.)

Still thinking about it.

Cheers.

Just wanted to say that $3,100 to insulate the whole house is a heck of a deal, especially when you consider it would have cost that much, if not more, to insulate a similar sized new house with fiberglass batts, and that would only leave you with R12, not R20 in those walls.
Nice thing about that foam is it will also act as a vapour seal.

We did a lot of remodeling on our house over he last few years, adding a lot of insulation and stuff but, the chalet style roof on part of our house was built with 2x6 rafters which only allowed room for R20 fiberglass insulation. R20 isn't really much for a ceiling, so when I re-roofed the house I added 2" foam insulation on top of the roof before strapping for a new metal roof. The extra 2" of styrofoam helped deflect a lot of the summer heat, but didn't help much keep the heat in in the winter because there wasn't a proper vapour seal inside. The rooms upstairs had tongue and groove fir paneling and no proper vapour barrier underneath, so the air leakage was pitiful. Not only that I knew with all that warm air leaking out there had to be moisture problems where the warm (moist) air was condensing. As much as I liked the looks of the wood paneling I had to fix the leak, the solution was add a poly vapour barrier over everything (+ a little remodeling) and instead of drywall I used 1" styrofoam board and finished over that.
The difference is huge, we found that this winter we just can't burn 24/7 anymore unless it gets like 0 deg F (-18 C), otherwise the house gets too warm. Nice to know the heat you generate in your house is staying in where you want it and isn't just leaking out.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find that $3,100 is money well spent.

We hope to do something similar with our roof.
Did you also close off any under roof ventilation (i.e., ridge and soffit vents)?
Maybe you didn't have any to close off being in BC.

I'm so in on this in the next year or so. I WILL have this done if I can get a quote under $3k. My house has some of the worst wall insulation and stuff ever. i re-did the entire attic.

Semipro said:
We hope to do something similar with our roof.
Did you also close off any under roof ventilation (i.e., ridge and soffit vents)?
Maybe you didn't have any to close off being in BC.
No I deliberately tried to keep things vented as much as possible to allow good air circulation to remove excess moisture, but the chalet style roof doesn't really have much open area above the insulation like a regular attic, so getting the air to flow through is kind of a challenge. We did install vented soffit and the metal roof installed over the strapping does allow for some ventilation, plus there is open space at the ridge of the roof for air to escape, so I'm sure that helps.

Our first winter (before we did the vapour barrier thing inside) we had a particular problem around the skylight windows we installed. The air leak there became obvious when the temps outside got above freezing and we got a water leak. At first I thought maybe we didn't install the flashing around the skylights properly, but when I got up in there and removed the skylight and some of the metal roofing I saw what was going on. The warm moist air was leaking around the skylight and channeling up under the metal roofing. As that warm air flowed though there the moisture condensed under the metal and froze developing quite a layer of frost and ice. Of course when it got warm out that stuff melted and the water dripped back into the house. I installed some poly around the skylights the second year and that stopped most of that, but I knew it wasn't stopping the warm moist air from leaking out everywhere else. That's why I got serious and vapour barriered the whole upstairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.