So I bought my first stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spidiracer

Sep 2, 2008
Utah
Some of you remember I posted up awhile back about purchasing a wood stove, install, and all that. We decided that I should get a small stove that slid into my existing fireplace. Well I went and just bought a Summers Heat 50-SNC13LC.

794909501330md.jpg

Its actually a better looking stove than I thought it would be I am pretty happy with my purchase :) I have yet to use it though.

My chimney is centrally located in my home (build in 1949) and I have three HUGE chimney holes (I have no idea what the proper term for those are, lol). They are 12" in diameter. The outer two go down into the basement where there is an old coal furnace, and the central one is for my fireplace. I also purchased a SS Ti flexible liner (boy is that fun to talk into, haha) to run down the chimney. I have some metal and some tin-snips to make the block-off plate above the stove and some high temp caulk. Am I all set to do this?

I have a few questions. Can I connect the liner right to the stove? Or do I need some kind of adapter. Being its the exact same size as the stove pipe I'm not sure I can attach it. Also, I'm not sure what to do about the top of the chimney. Is there a top cap that will cover the 12" (round) hole and hook up to the 6" liner? Also, I did not purchase insulation for the liner do you think I will be okay without it? I think my biggest concern now is the top cap... not sure where to get what I need. Some help sure would be appreciated I can't wait to kick it in front of my nice warm stove with a cold one! Oh I bought the blower too.

So... am I all set for this? What else do I need I want to get this right! Thank you all!

Okay I just found the appliance connector...

appliance_connector.jpg

Guess I need one of those... wonder if i can get one locally... Ogden, Utah.

I still dunno what to do about the top plate. Its flat by the way. Just a round flat 12" hole. I guess I could cover it with a square top plate.

I imagine a flat plate would work, but would it shed water? Or direct water down the liner? I'm thinking durability here. It may be fine for a few years, but I wouldn't want to have to replace it before it's needed.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.