So I had my stove cleaned yesterday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevassar

Oct 30, 2007
South Central MA
Yes, mid season because I neglected to do it in the Fall. I had been noticing alot of dust in the house. Well, my wife was noticing it.

The T was broken and there was ash leaking into the fireplace. He replaced the T and we're good to go. Luckily the C02 detectors didn't detect any emissions into the house...

Props to Pellets Direct as they did a good job clenaing and replacing the T.

davevassar said:
I know how to clean it, this was my annual cleaning. You know, pull it out, clean the T, the blowers etc...
If you know how to clean it why pay someone else?

its understandable if you needed the tech to inspect due to the broken pipe, but you guys in mass have to pay for those pensions now, so you should be trying to save $$$ :p

j00fek said:
its understandable if you needed the tech to inspect due to the broken pipe, but you guys in mass have to pay for those pensions now, so you should be trying to save $$$ :p

I`d have to think finding a broken / leaking exhaust pipe behind the stove would not be that difficult.

Regarding pensions and Ma., It`s hell living in an ultra liberal one party state where the majority are ignorant folks who keep re-electing the likes of Kennedy , Kerry , and Barney Frank.
Frankly I`m ashamed of the voters here and in the whole of New England .

I do the twice a week cleaning of the inside of the stove. This was my annual cleaning, like I said in the first post.

So you guys all do your yearly claning yourselves, including taking apart the convection blower, T and all that? If so, good for you. With my luckI'd break something and it would cost me more to get that fixed then it would to have the yearly cleaning done by a professional that knows what he is doing.

davevassar said:
So you guys all do your yearly claning yourselves, including taking apart the convection blower,
T and all that? If so, good for you. With my luck I'd break something and it would cost me more
to get that fixed then it would to have the yearly cleaning done by a professional that knows what he is doing.

Yeah I do all that and more and I'm not a guy. It's NOT difficult
and one certainly doesn't have to be an Einstein to do this.
A "professional" doesn't always know what they are doing any better
than you, and as far as the yearly cleaning, you don't have to have a degree
just some mechanical ability and common sense.

Why are you guys knocking someone for not doing the service himself. If he feels his money is better spent having a pro do the job then it is money well spent. You may think you know what you are doing but some one that sells that particullar brand of stove has probably worked on and cleaned one many more times than you ever will and most likley knows a few tricks of the trade to do a good job.

I am very mechanically inclined but am planning on having it gone over in the spring to get it ready for next season.

fast636 said:
Why are you guys knocking someone for not doing the service himself. If he feels his money is better spent having a pro do the job then it is money well spent. You may think you know what you are doing but some one that sells that particullar brand of stove has probably worked on and cleaned one many more times than you ever will and most likley knows a few tricks of the trade to do a good job.

I am very mechanically inclined but am planning on having it gone over in the spring to get it ready for next season.

I agree, I had mine done before I felt comfortable doing. I do it myself now and save a little doing it. I take the wife out to dinner with the savings. (She makes me pay for the things I break!)

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.