Before replacing my wood stove I want to run my plan by y’all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Casadecorgz

Mar 25, 2023
Bath, ME
So I moved into a new house where the owner installed a wood stove into the basement.

Since then whenever I put wood in it I get some pretty intense smoke blowback

I had the following done

1) Stainless liner installed
2) Had company come double up insulating the liner
3) Had the company come back because they didn’t cap the T then had them do it
4) Installed an insulation system down here to balance out negative pressure

Still, when I open the door to add wood I’ll get smoke that comes out, much less but enough that if I left the door open smoke leaks out

Thanks to y’all, I learned that the stove is meant to exhaust with an 8” diameter pipe, but was installed with a converter into my 5.5” thimble and 5.5” stainless steel like flue

The next step is for me to replace it with a new Regency stove (F2500) with a 6” exhaust and reconfigure the pipe so it’s not two 45” angles

How does that sound? I am very open to what y’all have to say!

So I moved into a new house where the owner installed a wood stove into the basement.

Since then whenever I put wood in it I get some pretty intense smoke blowback

I had the following done

1) Stainless liner installed
2) Had company come double up insulating the liner
3) Had the company come back because they didn’t cap the T then had them do it
4) Installed an insulation system down here to balance out negative pressure

Still, when I open the door to add wood I’ll get smoke that comes out, much less but enough that if I left the door open smoke leaks out

Thanks to y’all, I learned that the stove is meant to exhaust with an 8” diameter pipe, but was installed with a converter into my 5.5” thimble and 5.5” stainless steel like flue

The next step is for me to replace it with a new Regency stove (F2500) with a 6” exhaust and reconfigure the pipe so it’s not two 45” angles

How does that sound? I am very open to what y’all have to say!
Yeah an 8" stove into a 5.5 won't work

A 6” (which most stoves seem to be that qualify for the federal rebate) will be fine in a 5.5”? I was told yes but wanted to check with y’all too
No not all. But regencies all are OK with it

Can you explain? You think the 6” will still give me issues?
Maybe. Some manufacturers say ots fine some say its not. All 6" regencies are tested on 5.5" why did they use 5.5 anyway?

Maybe. Some manufacturers say ots fine some say its not. All 6" regencies are tested on 5.5" why did they use 5.5 anyway?
My chimney has 3 flues coming out of it. One for the living room fireplace, one for the furnace, and one for the basement wood stove. We recently also got it capped. They told me the 5.5” liner is what fit the existing flue