So that's what that's called!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Your joke doesn't make any sense to me, I don't think the link goes to where you want it...its an ad for an antique manhole lifter.

Darn it. All these years I thought that was to be used for something other than manhole covers.... Some folks just don't have a clue.

Looks to me like it just might be exactly what he says it is. Also looks as though somewhere along the line somebody used it as fire poker, for which it's perfectly suited as well. Way too long for a woodstove, but for a nice big outdoor pit it would git 'er done. Rick

As for too long for a stove, that all depends upon what stove you are using at the time. When I was a young lad and most folks heated with wood, many of them had furnaces in their basements. All of them used a poker that looked exactly like that. I still have one I used to use but it is too long for our present stove so it is hanging in the barn.

LOL Denise I have a wood furnace and use a spade shovel its a monster. That thing probably would work great.

I don't get the joke either. We call them manhole "picks" here. I've got a pick in my work truck along with a "prod-rod" for finding buried pipes.

Looked like a poker to me. It's a bit long, but if you had something like one of those barrel stoves it would probably be the right length.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
Looked like a poker to me. It's a bit long, but if you had something like one of those barrel stoves it would probably be the right length.

I have one similar to that. Never knew it was for lifting manhole covers. It's perfect for us top-loaders to reach way down to the bottom of the firebox. Those flames get licking up there pretty good on my Vigilant. Wouldn't want to try a shorty poker without full gauntlet gloves on.

Status
Not open for further replies.