So you think you have dry, seasoned wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Just figured alot of problems posted lately on what first appears draft problems, which some are, but seams more are wet wood problems.
Just my 2cents..............
Good dry, ready wood will ignite almost immediately when good & seasoned. Sometimes this can even be misleading. Some times, the bark is dry, but the inner wood is wet. So usually yes, if it ignites within say a minute to immediately, chances are good that its dry. But sometimes it can be just the bark burning well. If it takes 2 minutes or so, its semi dry/ semi wet. If it takes like 5 minutes, the stuff is WET!!!! Now granted this is if it is going onto a good hot bed of coals. If you have morsels of coals from the night before, or waiting to long and missing the hot bed of coals, than these rules don't really apply. At that point, if its wet, it will smolder at best and continually smoke. I throw some on a lil late sometimes, but in 10-15 mins its blazing. This will not happen with wet wood. Its will just smolder and smoke and not raise temp.

Also, just touched was ash blocking air intake ports. A very good point made was that if the ash is blocking where the intake air comes in, = poor draft. Just like a caked dirty engine air cleaner, car runs like crap cause no air is coming in, or at best very little. Same holds true for our woodburning appliances. Keep the air intake clear, and the exhaust clear. Meaning cap, another common culprit to bad draft issues. The cap is the single most creosote concentrated area. Inspect at least monthly until you figure out how long it takes for the cap to start accumulating creosote if that is the case. Then adjust your inspections & cleaning as needed.
Just my 2 cents.

This has been a public service announcement from your resident Neanderthal.
Your regularly scheduled program will now resume but already in progress.
Thank You.
;)

HOG- You are right on- Dry wood is the key!
Only been around here for a 'season', but have burned enough wood over the years to see that what many sell as 'seasoned cords' are usually less than a year old. The wood may be 'dry outside', but 'seasoned'-to me means 2 years old.
And, you are correct in saying that this is a real cause of 'Poor Draft' questions, and smoldering fires.
Dry seasoned wood will light right up !
But alas- Many folks that buy their wood can only buy for this season, and so they get that 6-8 month old cords (sometimes- the cord was standing upright last week).
I know it is an expense, but every cord I have is 'an investment in our families comfort' to me, and as 'an Investment'- I want it to earn intrest and increase in value- which, just like any investment- only occurs with time.

So- as the hog says... Buy good wood, and let it dry.

Hog, I have to agree with you too. How many threads on here have centered on wood that was too dry!??!!

jpl1nh said:
Hog, I have to agree with you too. How many threads on here have centered on wood that was too dry!??!!

HAHAHA LMAO, when that day comes, the majority of threads centered around poor draft, will then be all about too much draft and over fires.
Like that say will ever come. ;) Shame firewood being sold for profit doesn't have to be inspected &/or tested for dryness & insect infestations etc.
Opps, hope big brother didn't read that. More taxation & yet another agency thats about as needed as most of the other organizations geared to the citizens "safety".
At a premium cost to citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.