Soapstone Become Brittle With Age???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGGrunt

Nov 16, 2016
Western, MA USA
First post and already I am looking for help.

I picked up a Hearthstone II made in 1981 as a winter project. My plan was to disassemble the stove and give it a complete rebuild/reseal. The problem I ran into is just about every piece of the soapstone was cracked, chipped, and just crumbling apart. I was very careful taking it apart and there were still pieces of the stone that just fell apart.

Is this a common occurrence with soapstone after many tears of use.

I really liked the looks of the soapstone and bought this design based on esthetics but, given the above issue I am now seriously considering some other stove, possible a Jotul 121 "Moose" or some other stove that is as much a piece of furniture/art as it is a heating appliance.

The stove may have been overfired. If so, that is a bad place to start off from. Maybe look at a new Jotul Oslo?

Reactions: Lake Girl
I would bet that the stove in fact has been over fired given the looks of the insides. Will over firing cause soapstone to become brittle? I was very surprised, though having no prior experience with soapstone, I still thought it would be much more durable than what I found.

Easy answer yes. As a kid, it always surprised me to find cracked rocks under where the bonfire was...

Over firing will cause the stone to crack , but don't forget to fire the 3 successively hotter fires every year prior to using the stove . Over the summer the stone absorbs moisture , which needs to be driven off yearly before full time use . Thus the 3 hotter fires so you don't crack the stone before the moisture is driven out.

Status
Not open for further replies.