Soapstone Steamer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown56

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2007
bedford nh
My wife bought a 1/2 gal. soapstone steamer and was wondering if putting scented oil in the water would damage the stone.

Thanks Jim

It should be fine with the soapstone. I've added eucalyptus oil sometimes (cold season :sick: ). It seems to work well, and I've never noticed any problems. Any of the other oils really shouldn't cause any issues. I think I've seen differnt "flavored" oils sold (or marketed) as "stove scents" for use in steamers

Yes - I think it was the enamel on his stove, and I think that was because of the steamer boiling over with something in it. Only guessing, but I'd think that was a case more of thermal shock to the enamel, not necessarily what was in the water... but I could be wrong. I try not to fill the steamer up all the way, so hopefully if it does get boiling, its not going to spill over.

Status
Not open for further replies.