Soapstone stove pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I am new to the board and have learned many a thing by reading and having some of my pm's answered. My main question now is,

How does one find pricing on soap stone stoves? I know that Woodstock has their pricing in the ad. But today I looked at another soap stone at my local stove dealer and he quoted me retail pricing. Does everyone just buy soaps at full retail? I would think that would be like buying a new Cadillac without trying to get the dealer to come down.

Any help would be appreciated.

ps I am looking at the Hearthstone Heritage.

Shipper

This time of year good luck the best deals are in the spring, Its early in the stove season.

Hearthstone are US assembled of Spainish and Brazilian parts through dealers. Wood stock are US assembled parts??? factory direct sales only. Just keep shopping.

Wood Stock Fall sale
http://www.woodstove.com/pages/sale.html

Hearthstone doesn't use any parts from China, to my knowledge. The stone comes from Brazil and now Africa, and the castings come from Hearthstone's parent company in Spain.

For current Hearthstone stove pricing, click the thumbnail photos at http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hearthst.htm

I see that the Hearthstone Heritage is $2495 plus $330-$390 shipping to my area. The Woodstock Fireview is $2419 plus $150 shipping. Is the Heritage worth another $316?

Also I got a quote tonight from my chimney sweep of $1500 to install the stove with new stainless liner. I was shocked to say the least.

Shipper

Woodstocks cast iron is from Belgium and the soapstone comes from Canada.

I bought a Hearthstone Homestead this past July. Checked with three dealers in the area and prices, for the one I wanted, varied about $200. The dealer I went with gave me some good prices on SS vent pipe and some accessories. He also made two home visits and had lots of helpful ideas. I figure I got my money's worth.

I have never found a dissatisfied Woodstock customer. Great stoves and great company.

Shipper50 said:
I see that the Hearthstone Heritage is $2495 plus $330-$390 shipping to my area. The Woodstock Fireview is $2419 plus $150 shipping. Is the Heritage worth another $316?

Also I got a quote tonight from my chimney sweep of $1500 to install the stove with new stainless liner. I was shocked to say the least.

Shipper

No reason to be shocked on the install quote. My installation cost was similar with rigid pipe.

The woodstock and the heritage are very different. Most important difference to me was the huge clearances required for the woodstock. The Heritage can be 7" from the wall and can top vent. The other very important difference is that the woodstock is a catalytic stove which runs very differently than the non cat heritage. 316$ is not much difference in the grand scheme of things.

$1500 to install. Ouch. Mine was $500 and included using a torch to cut through two layers of a heat-o-later(sp) in order to vent straight up the chimney.

They will both do the job and are great looking stoves. Which one do you like the looks of best?

Todd said:
They will both do the job and are great looking stoves. Which one do you like the looks of best?

Since I got to see the Heritage in person today I like it alot. I was leaning toward the matte black on black as my house is log and I think the black would pop as they say today?lol

Shipper

I too like the picture of the sea foam green, but found it in person was more blueish?

Shipper

Now that Im learning how to use my stove, Im very happy. I have the seafoam green and matte black, it is a sharp unit, we have had many compliments. In our house it has more of a blue tint with the shades closed, but with the shades open it looks more green. The install seems like it is about right too. Im in north central ohio and that is about what I paid. I had to run 38' ss up the chimney and that was alot of the cost.
The stove seems to hold heat for a long time once it is up to temp. too.

$2429.10 Is what I paid for cash and carry on our Mansfield in Jan. of last year. It is flat black cast.

I do not think anyone should pay full retail. Cash in hand talks volumes though as then the vendor does not have to pay the credit card fees.

I just talked to a dealer in Indiana by phone and he said the insert I have which is a Appalachain 32xlbw is not the best on the market and I don't really need a wood stove. He says he can sell me an insert that would do what a stove can do and fit inside my existing fireplace and not have to go thru the stove pad thing.

Any opinions on inserts? I bought the above off ebay as a floor model and it was new, but has never put out the heat it should.

Shipper

If it's a good design and properly sized, inserts can work well. For sure get one that has a good, variable speed blower. Also, before starting, have the chimney cleaned and thoroughly inspected. Be prepared that it may need a liner for both safety and performance. This will add to the cost, but in the long run will make you a much happier woodburner.

An insert heats different than a stove, the two are hardly comparible in my opinion.

If you want the heat in other rooms, extremeties, other floors, etc. besides the room with the unit, an insert is the wiser choice. Inserts have much larger blowers than stoves, and force huge amounts of air through channels that wrap around the unit, forcing it to be super heated before escaping. That heat doesn't stick around the room with the insert it wants to spread around the floor. Inserts make a ton of hot air, if you’ve seen a pellet stove in action (or ask someone who has one how they heat), an insert heats similarly. The good they do wonders for heating a houses extremeties and keeping the heat even, the bad they don't heat the room they're in as fast, as well, or as hot as a stove. Since an insert heats the "floor" of the house and not the room it's in (unless you can close it off) if you come home to a house that's say 62F and want it 68F you have to wait until the insert brings the entire floor up to 68F which can take a few hours. Which, brings us to a stove. It produces some convection & some radiant energy. The radiant heat is a form of light, can only be used in the room with the stove. If you're familiar with walking into a house heated with a wood stove and being blown back from the heat that's the combined hit of the convection & radiant heat. Stoves quickly heat the room & objects in said room that they're in, heat them to warmer temps, but don't do as well at heating the extremeties like an insert and, have a higher chance of overheating the room they're in while trying to warm other parts of ones house. So, if you want a "hot" room, or a room that quickly warms up when you come home to a cold house a stove would be the wiser choice.

So it depends on what you want, I got very frustrated with my stove overheating the area around it as I wanted the heat in other parts of my house and a stove wasn't as capable for that task. I couldn't believe how nice and fast my insert heats other rooms etc. of my house, and how even so an insert is for me. My in-laws are elder people and they like to be in 80F+!!! For them to do that with an insert would be impractical they'd have to heat the entire floor to 80F and take a while hence they got a stove and couldn't be happier. They sit around the stove where they heat the room it's in above 80F+ and the rest of their house is low 70's and that's the way they love it, and exactly that scenario I hated about my stove. So, to each their own.

So, in summary if you want the heat spread around the house and its extremeties an insert is probably a wiser choice. If you want a hot room, or a room that heats quickly a stove is a better choice. You can cook on a stove, an insert almost always not. Some people like how a stove heats without power, an insert without power is like a sailboat without much wind. It starts to really be noticeable after 18+ hours w/out power... which has happened to me once in 25 years. Had I got a stove based on power availability I'd have had that stove replaced before ever utilizing its ability to heat w/out power so don't recommend the power issue be part of the consideration unless you frequently do lose power for extended periods of time. Another, an inserts blowers sound like an AC on medium when on high setting and that bothers some. You can turn them down, and they'll sound like a whisper but some people rather not have any sound and in that case a stove would be a wiser choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.