Q&A Soapstone Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Well, hoping for some free advice - again. Just wondering what your take is on soapstone stoves? Seems to me that much of the heat is going up the flue. How are they at transferring all that heat to the room? I'm thinking of replacing my Patriot (no complaints) for a larger stove and like the looks of the soaps but don't want to lose any heat. Comments?

Answer:

The actual efficiency of soapstone stoves tests out similar to metal stoves. The main advantage is the styles and colors available, which look very different from the standard steel and cast-iron units. If you like the look..then go for it! It may take a few minutes longer to heat up from a cold start...but it will also even out the heat over a period of time and stay warmer longer after the fire goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.