Soapstone to durock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slab

Sep 11, 2022
Greenland, NH
I'm getting ready to install my Pleasant hearth 1800 wood burning stove and had a question with hearth assembly. The hearth pad consists of 3/4 inch thick plywood, then 1 inch micore 300, then 1/2 inch Durock. On top of that I'm going to put a solid soapstone slab (about 50x55 inches 1.5 inches thick). My question is how to attach the stone to the Durock. Will the slab (about 400 pounds) be heavy enough to be held in place by gravity alone? If not how should I affix the stone to the hearth pad?

I w
I'm getting ready to install my Pleasant hearth 1800 wood burning stove and had a question with hearth assembly. The hearth pad consists of 3/4 inch thick plywood, then 1 inch micore 300, then 1/2 inch Durock. On top of that I'm going to put a solid soapstone slab (about 50x55 inches 1.5 inches thick). My question is how to attach the stone to the Durock. Will the slab (about 400 pounds) be heavy enough to be held in place by gravity alone? If not how should I affix the stone to the hearth pad?
I would use thinset. I doubt it would slide around but probably won't sit level which will lead to cracks.

Be very careful with that soapstone because heat will REALLY build up on it and it will REALLY hold that heat. Make sure your clearances account for that.

We have a floor to ceiling hearth and pad (on concrete slab) built out of soapstone tile. I have had to far exceed my wall/combustible clearances and install heat shields to account for the heat retention on the soapstone.

If we ran our old F600 for more than one load, the wall would get too warm for my comfort even though clearances were well exceeded. I installed a standing heat shield and it really helped.