Softwood Score Tree Id help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Locust99

May 11, 2017
Upstate, New York
I just picked up half a cord of a pine for free and I was wondering if anyone can help me ID it. My first thought is eastern white pine, but I don't know a whole lot about the softwoods.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 194
Yep, bark, size, twig configuration, and needle size and count tells men that it's eastern white pine.

Count the needles in a bundle. EWP typically has five needles to a bundle.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Yup it has five needles to a bundle. There is probably an easy face cord left to grab and another full cord that is over 30" diameter, debating whether or not I want to get more! I don't have a lot of space where I live to store it though, so I would rather fill it with hardwoods. Thanks for helping me ID it.

Never underestimate the power and value of pine as kindling. Starts fire super fast

I burn lots of E.White Pine. Good stuff. Top cover your stacks close to burning season. Once it gets rained on the outside will take awhile to dry. Like a sponge. Seasons quickly after splitting. Also will rot if left in big rounds for me.

Thanks for the tips guys, I might grab some more after I finish splitting this stuff. Most of it was easy except for some of the knotty pieces . Tons of sap in this wood though!

The pitch is difficult to work with while cutting and splitting, but when in the stove will help a load of hardwood ignite quicker.

The pitch/sap will be a non-issue when your splits are dry. Like mentioned above it is messy if you css live stuff! Knotty chunks go in my firepit collection.

Yeah , unfortunately this is green. It was probably around 100 years old and fell in our last bad storm, I only took the smaller 18" or so rounds. Tons of pitch , and I'm gonna need to use my chainsaw to cut/split a couple knotty pieces in half. My fiskars axe won't touch them. Thinking about getting the fiskars splitting maul.

I would get as much as you can, it will be ready for winter, save the bigger pieces till well into winter. At this point finding hardwood that will be ready for winter will be more of a challenge unless you find dead standing trees. I burned pine last fall that I scavenged, it burned great.