Softwood versus Hardwood - which gets voted off the island?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cavermedic

Jun 13, 2008
Southern Vermont
Can anyone who has done a head-to-head comparison of a quality hardwood pellet against a quality softwood pellet give me their opinions (oh, what an invitation!) about whether I should go all quality hardwood (Lignetics), all softwood (TBD), or half & half? Total for next year is estimated to be 6 tons through my Quad Mt Vernon.

A heads up comparison with a quality pellet is the key. I have burned both hardwood and softwood. I really don't see much difference between the 2. Softwood just slightly hotter maybe!

If the quality is bad, That's when I see a difference. And only then.

just my 2.

jay

It really comes down to user & stove preference. If you liked the way the Lignetics hardwood burned, and don't have an issue w/ the price, then stay with them (if it ain't broken, don't fix it).

I burned both Lignetics hardwood & softwood, and much prefer the hardwood.....I saw no difference in heat output, but the softwood dirtied the glass much faster, and the burnpot stayed much cleaner when i used the hardwood.

Otherwise, let your pocketbook and burning experience be your guide.

macman,

Before you mash the softwoods, Go get some RockyMountains or some Spruce Pointe and Give them a try. They are the best softies I have tried so far. Lignetics softies were a so so for me too.

I also liked the Eureka softies, But can't find them here anymore.

jay

jtakeman said:
...... Go get some RockyMountains or some Spruce Pointe and Give them a try. They are the best softies I have tried so far.

jay

Jay, I'd be more than happy to try some of those if I could find them around here and at a decent price. The only place that had Rocky Mtn near me wanted $298/ton and $5.98/bag...they know what they can do with those.

macman said:
The only place that had Rocky Mtn near me wanted $298/ton and $5.98/bag...they know what they can do with those.

Yep, I hear ya! I bit the bullet and got 4 bags from TCS at $5.98 a bag. But on a good note. In the fall when everyone jacks the prices to over $330.00/ton. TCS will still be at $289.00/ton. So I might be forced to get a ton there.

If I could get the Rocky's cheaper there'd be a few ton's stashed in my basement! I can get the Spruce Pointes for $270 a ton. Hoping for the spring sale will bring them a little lower for me. Then I will get a ton or so.

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.