Solar Cell efficiency progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
There are some very interesting developments in solar cell efficiency improvement. There's a 1 minute ad at 7:30, but overall this is an informative video on solar panel development if you haven't been following individual articles in trade journals and science publications.

I find myself most intrigued by the integration of PV materials into standard building components like windows and roofs.
I'm not sure stand-alone panels will ever see wide acceptance given their limitations. Mounting PV panels that last 30 years on a roof likely to require replacement in less time seems problematic.

That is an old idea, but seeing it work, quantitatively is nice. I wonder though, where it was published - this was also not mentioned in the press release. I'm weary of press releases of records before the results have been vetted. Many times after press releases one does not really hear back about the results, because in peer review it was shot down for whatever reason.

Best to talk (press release) once it's published.

There is a link to the original release in the article. At the bottom of the release it says:
The results have been independently verified by the CSIRO.
(I had to look that one up. It is the Australian national science agency.)

There is a link to the original release in the article. At the bottom of the release it says:
The results have been independently verified by the CSIRO.
(I had to look that one up. It is the Australian national science agency.)
I don't see that link, but your funding agency "verifying" a paper does not constitute scientifically meaningful scrutiny. For one, your funding agency has a CoI.

It's at the bottom of the article. It also states that funding was separate. We'll see if it makes it to market as a leading tech or not.
This work has been supported by the Australian Government through the Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) and Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics (ACAP).

Ok. Csiro is some agency that does research and can give certification of efficiency numbers. That is not peer review. That is a bought certification. Not saying it is shady, but the gold staining science is peer review and publication in a journal.

On my browser there is no publication (journal article). See screen shot.

Screenshot_20210824-173314.png

it has not been published, I searched in databases and on google scholar. Marco Ernst and Kean Chen Fong don't have this result listed.

Reactions: woodgeek