Solar Kiln for smoking wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Longstreet

Feeling the Heat
Mar 14, 2014
Atlanta
Haven't been around in a while. Just too many other projects and hobbies taking up my time.

Wanted to share what I put together this afternoon while I had two butts on the smoker. Very simple and rough solar kiln for smoker wood. Certainly not large enough to dry wood for the stove but I might dry a little bit for special occasions. Probably going to line it with black roofing membrane and cut some vents for fresh air. I left a gap at the top of the glass frame to allow the hot air to escape as I don't want to bother with active circulation.

Dimensions are roughly 40" high in the back, 24" high in the front, 28" deep, and 54" wide. Total volume of about 28 cubic feet if my math is right. Call it 1/6 of a cord when packed tight.

Pretty fun little project. One day I'll get around to trim pieces, stain, hinges, and casters. One day.

20180318_152712.jpg 20180318_152729_HDR.jpg 20180318_152745.jpg 20180318_152935.jpg

Reactions: Jay106n