Solid fireplace screen to block firebox from room before I close the flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

superdave

Dec 27, 2019
Hello, all! Soon after I knock down my fire the draft changes direction and cold air enters the room before the embers are out. I believe this is because the chimney is on an outside wall and doesn't have a smoke shelf. I'm concerned both that this means carbon monoxide from the embers is entering the house and because it's especially energy inefficient. I'm thinking of putting a sort of solid fireplace screen on the hearth to block air from the firebox from entering the room while the embers die. Does this make sense? Any advice on buying or making one (e.g., from stainless steel)?

@Jags, thanks! I'm not a fan of the look of installed doors nor do I want to have a separate screen to my current mesh one. I suppose I could buy a custom piece of tempered glass and insert it between my screen and the firebox when needed.

@Smolder -- it's not a stove, just a fireplace. :)

Nothing you simply place in front of the fireplace opening will do much to stop air from being pulled out of the house or co from entering the house

Reactions: Smolder
I was thinking that maybe an angle iron frame with magnets holding a steel sheet in place.

I was thinking that maybe an angle iron frame with magnets holding a steel sheet in place.
That may work but it would have to be a perfect seal to prevent co. By starving what is left of the fire for o2 you will create more co.

There are some really nice fireplace enclosures out there if your willing to spend the coins.