Some Dry Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
I cut up another truck load of ash today. This tree was had been dead standing for 3 years, out in a meadow where it got lots of sun and wind. I could tell the wood was very dry, as it was not very heavy. The piece I tested had been 50 feet above the ground. I split another piece that had been 15 feet above the ground, it tested at 18.6 percent.

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004 (1).JPG IMG_0008.JPG

I have been burning this wood and it burns well. I split some small, and used it for kindling, then loaded the stove with it. It is weird, to cut up a trunk on Wednesday, and on Friday to load up the stove with that wood and get a good burn.
Never done that before. Dry, standing ash.

That's the last of the ash. my brother and I have cut up 8 of them on our mountain, in the past 4 years, there are no more.