Some free split red oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
I live next to a preserve. I heard someone whacking away on rounds that another neighbor rolled into the woods from a tree that fell. He’s not a burner and kinda strange, anyway. I’ve seen these logs and figures maybe I’ll roll into my yard after I get through the logs waiting for me to split are done.
This guy explains he’s part of a mountain bike club and has ridden and walked by these for a while. His legs have been bothering him. So instead of riding he came to split the logs because he enjoys it.
He sees the 6+ cords I have on pallets and asks if I sell firewood. I tell him no. Just heat my house with it. He says well I’m just going to pile this up and leave it if anyone wants it. I just enjoy splitting it!
Holy hell, this guy is splitting 36” rounds and leaving it for anyone! 7F6EA17F-7A80-4DF6-A74F-85D4052896BD.jpegB014317E-D296-4629-BE23-6B0D7054E0AE.jpegso. I’m anyone! It was a big tree. So rounds were cut small so they could be managed so almost all are shorties. I’m not complaining

1BF7FF4D-94EC-4947-B4EB-329AD00D6C65.jpeg

This may need a lucky dog award!

Excellent score :cool:

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I live next to a preserve. I heard someone whacking away on rounds that another neighbor rolled into the woods from a tree that fell. He’s not a burner and kinda strange, anyway. I’ve seen these logs and figures maybe I’ll roll into my yard after I get through the logs waiting for me to split are done.
This guy explains he’s part of a mountain bike club and has ridden and walked by these for a while. His legs have been bothering him. So instead of riding he came to split the logs because he enjoys it.
He sees the 6+ cords I have on pallets and asks if I sell firewood. I tell him no. Just heat my house with it. He says well I’m just going to pile this up and leave it if anyone wants it. I just enjoy splitting it!
Holy hell, this guy is splitting 36” rounds and leaving it for anyone!View attachment 269610View attachment 269611so. I’m anyone! It was a big tree. So rounds were cut small so they could be managed so almost all are shorties. I’m not complaining

View attachment 269609
Did you give him a bottle of wine for the effort?

I offered to have him drive into my yard to take them! “No I have plenty of firewood”was his reply! Really mellow guy, but I was sorta panicked in coming up with ways for him to take them. He said “I enjoy splitting it” maybe 3 times, last one was a little loud.
I was suppose take kids away so wife could figure out what Santa has brung us all. Imagine her excitement when instead I took my 8yr old daughter into the woods with my truck. “Honey it’s not every day you get less than half cord of split red oak waiting to be taken!”

definitely a gift certificate for a meal and a thank you. really nice score

Reactions: D8Chumley
"This may need a lucky dog award! "

Yup it does !!

lucky_dog.png

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Your new best friend. Invite him over when you need help

Another pile there today, I’ll get it and a pic tomorrow