Some input and advice re: Cub Cadet used 33 ton splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmarv

Sep 19, 2008
East Fishkill, NY
Newbie here ~ We have an opportunity to purchase a used (approx. 6-7 yr. old) Cub Cadet 33 ton splitter. It's gas powered, vertical/horizontal, 9 hp, towable, in very good condition. A friend passed away recently and his widow asked us if we would be interested in it for $600. She has no plans to use it, and will purchase cut, split, and seasoned firewood for her insert. We live on 7 wooded acres and for the most part, cut and season our own firewood. Our house is small (1500 sq. ft.), and we have a Pacific Energy Vista (small) fireplace insert. We are figuring we use between 3-4 cords of wood annually, and after reading different forums and varying opinions, aren't sure if this would be beneficial. My husband splits our wood with a maul, and so far, that's been fine. IF anyone would be willing to weigh in with the ins and outs, benefits, negatives, etc., we would greatly appreciate it. We think the price is right, but aren't convinced it's the way to go for us because we don't use a large quantity of wood (comparably speaking).
Any thoughts?

mrsmarv said:
weigh in with the ins and outs, benefits, negatives, etc...
About the only negative I see is you will be $600 out of pocket but if you can afford it, at that price it's a steal. As long as you have somewhere decent to store it out of the weather, it will probably last your lifetime. Face it, you're not getting any younger and you can only do it the hard way for so long. You might view the work as excercise but you can do as little or as much as you want with the splitter.

For 600 I'd buy it, homeowner use is nothing...pretty sure it's an MTD but truthfully 600 is a good deal.

From what I understand, she's pretty sure it's "pre-MTD". Supposedly it's manufactured prior to Cub Cadet being bought out....then again, I can't be sure because I don't know the year Cub Cadet changed hands and she's not sure the exact year it was purchased. She knows it's between 6 and 7 years old.
And yes, for sure we're not getting any younger. Already in our mid-50's and in good shape, but we're not kidding anyone. :roll:

EatenByLimestone said:
I'd be running to the ATM for that price.

Matt
thats as good as it will ever get!

Status
Not open for further replies.