Some kind of locust?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rangerbait

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2016
Shepherdstown, WV
Grabbed some of this yesterday after work...anyone know what this is?

92735e89c5fc78cf28f7fdad61d1901a.jpg

c49621376c1da973b960ce74f548f8fe.jpg

b67a438e10a59c1424516b5f851e85d9.jpg

Reactions: fishki
Black locust

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rangerbait
Looks more like Honey Locust to me :).

It's all good stuff.

TedyOH , maybe right after giving it some more thought it could be Black Locust. I think it is because it is young tree my locust radar is having difficulty.

So at least - my earlier comment applies 100 % = It's all good stuff !

That is most definitely not black locust. The bark is thick with bl and it does not have thorns. Honey is my guess.

Nice score! Locust should be good to burn after 2 yrs, when split, stacked and covered. I love burning it.

def honey with the thorns. i had plenty of black locust. no thorns. that must be nasty to handle. if like black locust it dries way quicker than oak burns very hot and long with lots of coals. great score.

Strange one, Black and Honey locust can and do have thorns, but the wood of this one looks like neither of those. Anyone else suspect that it may be Hawthorn??

Strange one, Black and Honey locust can and do have thorns, but the wood of this one looks like neither of those. Anyone else suspect that it may be Hawthorn??
I did....but the Hawthorne around here never get that big though and the have the big HL thorns, not the little ones in the OPs original pic.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Around here all black locust saplings and very young trees growing in the wild have thorns on the main stem/trunk and branches. Mature black locust trees won't have thorns on the main trunk and large branches, but thorns will be see in smaller new growth. Black locust thorns are similar in SHAPE and DISTRIBUTION to rose stems while honey locust thorns are in clusters and have much longer thorns than black locust

Note that there are thornless cultivars of both honey and black locust. In my region the thornless honey locust is a popular parking lot and grassy median tree.

The leaves in the back of the truck bed are black locust--not honey locust or hawthorn.

Magnification:

BlackLocustLeaves01.jpg

Last edited:
That is most definitely not black locust. The bark is thick with bl and it does not have thorns. Honey is my guess.

You do make a good point about the bark looking too thin for black locust. Some rounds pictured do have the thicker bark typical of black locust but not all of them. It threw me off from the beginning.

not BL

Here is a typical black locust with its one of a kind bark. By going through google images I'd go with honey locust is what you have.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: cptoneleg
Honey looks like it can have varying amounts of thorns

Attachments

• IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 120
That is most definitely not honey locust. Honey locust is the devil.

Here is a typical black locust with its one of a kind bark. By going through google images I'd go with honey locust is what you have.

Bear in mind these trees are at the most 10 years old...where I come from, we have a variety of Cedar that has bark that's easily as thick and furrowed as the locust in your photos, if not thicker. When they're young, they're nearly smooth.