Some non-seasoned oak good for the fire pit and summer nights.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Marconis

Dec 13, 2021
NY
Cheers. This summer really did a number on my lawn…grr.

5EB77B58-B282-4C5E-BAA5-0E5923BF1C72.jpeg

Nice!

Those isolated brown spots are likely fungus damage. A little fungicide every second week, starting when stress is expected and continuing thru the stress period, will keep those spots as green as the rest of it.

Also, if you fertilize, get a soil test in March. Too many people go blindly high on Nitrogen, using consumer products, because they make the lawn look nice and green. But high nitrogen and low potassium are the perfect recipe for fungus to thrive, when summer draught stresses the lawn. With a soil test, they'll tell you exactly how much you need of each component, so you're not over (or under) using anything.

Nice!

Those isolated brown spots are likely fungus damage. A little fungicide every second week, starting when stress is expected and continuing thru the stress period, will keep those spots as green as the rest of it.

Also, if you fertilize, get a soil test in March. Too many people go blindly high on Nitrogen, using consumer products, because they make the lawn look nice and green. But high nitrogen and low potassium are the perfect recipe for fungus to thrive, when summer draught stresses the lawn. With a soil test, they'll tell you exactly how much you need of each component, so you're not over (or under) using anything.
Thanks for the advice! I thought that at first, but after coming back from vacation and not watering for a week they appeared. Quickly realized it’s right on top of my cesspool covers (at least the two further away from the fire pit). My dry well cover also had a dead spot. Assuming shallow soil and it dried out real quick.

Probably fungal issue near the fire pit because I screwed all that turf up when I made the patio for the pit

It has been a struggle here also, good news is rain has picked up a bit, labor day for me is the start of the fall nitrogen blitz, get those carbs in the roots for a quicker green up in spring