Some of my pellets are to long.. (with photo)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas440

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Northeast Oh
Normally the pellets I have been using are anywhere from 1/4 inch to about 5/8 of an inch in length. Recently from the same batch I noticed that I have several bags so far with pellets about 2" inches long and I found a few that are well over 2" inches. So far my Quadrafire Castile insert has been taking them in stride, I hear an occasional " BANG" sound and I'm assuming it's one of these 2 inch pellets getting broken up by the auger. When I fill the hopper I add a little at a time, and I manually break the long ones up as much as possible but I dont get all of them.

I'm just wondering how many of you experience extra long pellets. The brand I have been burning for 3 seasons now is Country Boy and they have always been great. They are hot, they have very little ash, and the size has been consistent at about 1/4 to 5/8 inch long. These are hardwood premium pellets as well.

Here's a photo of what I'm seeing recently, and I hope I dont find too many bags like these. This last bag did not have any of the 2 1/4 inchers but I did find several.

Some of my pellets are to long.. (with photo)

1.5" is acceptable to the PFI and some can be longer than that.

Ive had some pretty long pellets. Had a whole ton of these I had to fight threw last year. Quad only shut down twice because of them.

The average length for them was 1.5".

With some topping at 3".

Have since burned them a few times (all different batches) and never seen the problem again.

Attachments

• Some of my pellets are to long.. (with photo)
    AWF2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Some of my pellets are to long.. (with photo)
    AWF1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 326
are those country boys? they look a bit darker than my boys.

ray

are those country boys? they look a bit darker than my boys.

ray

You should be fine with those size I've run about the same size in my Quad, but any longer and I hear my auger making noise to which I don't like to hear or think its good for it.

I think mine just enjoys smaller pellets and burns better, but that just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.