Some Pics From Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter938

Feeling the Heat
Dec 25, 2014
Central Indiana
I got out today and did some cutting, cleaning up fence rows while I can still get to them. I mostly cut stuff that had blown down last summer in a large storm, focusing on on wood laying on the ground. I figured the stuff hung up or standing dead could wait until next fall/winter.

image.jpeg
I moved several truck loads like this to my splitting area.

image.jpeg
I even lucked into a little red oak. I don't get very much oak, but found a large limb that came out of a very large tree so I had to buck it up. It's what's on the tail gate. I put it there so I can seperated it and stack it with some mulberry I cut earlier this winter. The oak and mulberry will make up my "heavy hitter" stack for '17-'18.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I then moved on to two massive hackberry trees. Hard to see it well because the sun was in my face. These are big, roughly 40" diameter. I had planned on working these tomorrow as well, but have to help a friend with another fence row job.

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. Not really sure what we will get into.

I wouldn't count on the oak until at least 2018-2019, FWIW.

The Hackberry? It will be ready (depending on how you stack it) by 2017. Gotta bunch of it, give it at least a year and a half. should be GTG by then.

Like your Dodge Ram, reminds me of my '98 1500.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

bob

@Firefighter938 is that the fence row you have been working on earlier in the year? Looking good.. How much wood you think you will pull out of there? I fell into a fence row that has a decent selection of species to choose from. Like black locust and mulberry. I didn't know how good a wood mulberry is until you mentioned it. I have an abundant supply of mulberry in the fence rows and timber where I cut. I'll send photos.. Good luck and happy cutting.. Weather here is crazy like 60 degrees almost and muddy.

@Firefighter938 is that the fence row you have been working on earlier in the year? Looking good.. How much wood you think you will pull out of there? I fell into a fence row that has a decent selection of species to choose from. Like black locust and mulberry. I didn't know how good a wood mulberry is until you mentioned it. I have an abundant supply of mulberry in the fence rows and timber where I cut. I'll send photos.. Good luck and happy cutting.. Weather here is crazy like 60 degrees almost and muddy.

Yes that's the same fence row I took pictures of earlier. The photo of the hackberry is actually one field over, but the farmer approached me when he heard me cutting and asked if I would like to cut it. So far I have c/s/s about 3 cord of this fence line. Mostly ash, hackberry, and mulberry but also one large black walnut and a little oak. The mulberry is awesome wood. It grows fast, seasons relatively quickly for a high btu wood, and is highly rot resistant. I cut a lot because it grows in almost every fence row in the county.

It's hard to say how much wood I will get from this field. There's probably another 15 cord left that needs cut. I hope to pull one or two more out of it before it gets too muddy or they start working the field. The rest will have to wait.

Reactions: TheBigIron
I wouldn't count on the oak until at least 2018-2019, FWIW.

The Hackberry? It will be ready (depending on how you stack it) by 2017. Gotta bunch of it, give it at least a year and a half. should be GTG by then.

Like your Dodge Ram, reminds me of my '98 1500.

Thanks. It's a 97 with a 318 in it. It's been a work horse and rides like one too. I've had it since 05. She's not pretty but gets the job done and can haul a lot of wood for a 1/2 ton.

Reactions: D8Chumley
318!!! Great underrated engine!

Reactions: Firefighter938
Being a limb from the oak and if your drying area is anything like the pictures, wide open and sunny, it'll probably be fine in two years.

Reactions: Firefighter938
Wow you can see for a llllooonnnggg ways where you live! And that is a massive root ball on the Hackberry! Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.