Some questions from a new guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
I recently had a Napoleon 1100c installed and have a couple of questions.

First if I want to monitor the flue temperature with double wall pipe do I need a probe thermometer?

Is this a good one? http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/28338/16650/Stove-Thermometers/339-Fluegard-Thermometer.html

Does it matter where on the flue I put it? Also does the hole need to be sealed?

Second, I'm thinking of adding a blower to help circulate the air. If I get one is it a good idea to get a thermostat control or just use manual controls?

Thanks, Joe.

That Condor probe is about as good as you will find. I put a dab of furnace cement behind pipe probe thermos for sealing but it probably isn't essential. I place mine 24" above the stove collar. Some people do it at 18".

I think a thermo control for a blower is a must. Why have the blower circulating cold air after the stove dies down?

Thanks Bro ;) I have adjustible pipe. Will it be a problem?

Thermostatic on/off with a manual variable speed control. And get that damned carpenter ant out of here. :ahhh: Rick

Place your probe thermometer about 18" up from your stove top. Drill a 1/4" hole through the outside pipe and then drill a 3/16" through the inside pipe. The magnet will hold it tight ...no need for any cement. rememeber that when you clean your stove pipe and chimney this probe thermometer will have to be removed ...so don't cement it in place
Regards Joe

JPapiPE said:
Yeah, really... that ant avatar really made me try to squash it on my screen....Well done you fooled us all....at least so far

You must have squashed it. There's a little carcass that looks like a comma at the bottom of your signature.

You must have squashed it. There’s a little carcass that looks like a comma at the bottom of your signature.

:lol:

I had a fly on my monitor yesterday. I didn't think anything of it. I said to myself "that's Joeys bug". Then it moved to the other corner of the monitor
roll.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.