some suggestions please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsuber

Jan 14, 2009
western ny
We purchased an Ashley 5500. We have had numerous problems with the unit. Everything from from the wrong controlled board being installed, to having to replace the auger. Of course this happens days after the part is no longer under warrenty! We have called the customer service number so many times I think they know us on a first name basis. When we turn the stove on it will light,sometimes takes 2 or 3 times, and will burn fine for about an hour. Temp will go up and things are great. After the hour or so the burn pot fills up and it just doesnt seem to through the heat. We lit it last night, and by this am we had to clean out the burn pot. We get chunks of burnt pellets. It seems to build up a crusty layer on the bottom of the pot. Ran it on 7 and my house was 67 degrees! Called the factory and they are sending us a new and improved chip for the circut board. Any suggestios in the mean time?

Tell us about your vent setup, house tightness level and OAK (outside air kit) if any.

A burn pot pile up is one of the symptoms of a blocked or interfered with air path or control system issue.

When we turn the stove on it will light,sometimes takes 2 or 3 times

Make sure your door is closed and forming a good seal. This can interfere with the air flow and cause both the fuel ratio to be rich too many pellets in pot in comparison to air, and can also cause an issue lighting the pellets at startup. Also, the igniter in your stove should be glowing during startup. You should be able to visibly see it glowing red. If not, then you have an igniter failure or the controller is bad.

Make sure that the exhaust venting in clean and not obstructed.

Make sure the auto-start igniter is not blocked with ash. The igniter is located behind the burnpot on the back firebox wall.

One last and easy thing to try is to get a couple bags of another brand of pellet. See if your burn experience is any better with the other pellets.

We purchased boxed kits for the chimney and vent. My chimney is clean and the ash cup part of the "T" are empty. The vent we bought had a slotted cap that went over the outside end of the vent tube. This restricted airflow so we replaced it with a piece of metal screen (like you would use for a window) that allows more air into the stove. Is it possible that there is now too much air going into the stove?

In regards to pellet brand, we were told this may make a difference before, I have burned 3 different brands but they all seem to produce the same result. This makes me think that the stove is just feeding too fast at higher heat settings.

Any additional thoughts?

There are many BAD pellets out there, perhaps you were unfortunate to get three of them. What kinds are/were they?

However, it sounds to me as it is a combination of bad pellets and air. The vent kit (chimney) is not the same as an outside air kit (OAK), do you actually have both?

As SomkeyTheBear was asking, give some details about your venting setup (both exhaust and intake) such as length, size diameter, etc..

One thing I guess you could try is to remove your OAK connection from the stove. See if that changes your burn efficiency?

I am not sure what area you are from but if you are up north, make sure vent screen (you mentioned) is not coated with snow or ice restricting the air flow.

You would not have a pellet pile up if you had too much air going through the fire pot.

I still have zero idea as to your actual venting system and OAK if any.

Your stove doesn't have a damper if I read the correct manual last night, further it requires a completely clear OAK, your window screen probably amounts to a 50% blockage on the OAK. While better than the slotted cap it is likely still preventing the proper amount of air to enter the fire pot.

But since we are looking at air flow issues and it seems Ashley is sending you a new control chip, did they tell you what it supposedly corrects?

Also is the fire pot liner (grate) fully seated in the stove, sometimes they don't properly seat and air goes outside instead of through the grate and pellet pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.