Some thermometer questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zevi_B

Dec 12, 2005
Hello,

I recall seeing some thermometer-related discussions, but I can't quite find them. My understanding is that you can use your fireplace much more efficiently with it. So, I think that I want to install a thermometer on our QF-7100. But I'm wondering:
(1) how do you utilize the reading to control the operation? In other words -- how do you use the device?
(2) what kind is recommended, and where do I get it?
(3) how/where do I install it on the fireplace?

Thanks in advance,
Zevi.

There realy isnt a place for a thermometer on a fireplace. You cant get to the flue and there isnt a ledge to set it on.

How about something like this?

http://www.infrared-usa.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=10228

I bought one earlier this year to help me find cold spots in my home as I was adding insulation. It's really a handy tool - even use it to check the fridge temperature!

I don't have a fireplace insert yet, but I will for next winter. I don't know if this particular unit reads high enough temperatures ~750 F, but there are several other units on their website...

-Dan

Well shure you can place a magnetic one on the face and some how have a temp read out. I am not shure if you would get the same type of readings that you would get off a stove top. I think it would read hot. I could be wrong.

Thank you for all the info! Yes, I think I may have to determine what kind of "offset reading" I get with a face-mounted magnetic meter vs a top-mounted one for a stove.

However, I am still hoping to get some of your collective wisdom about the usage: how do utilize the meter to get good fire control? Just to throw logs inside to keep it hot, is not something you need a thermometer for. How do you use the temp reading to regulate the heat? After the house is warmed up, I want just to maintain heat -- not to heat it more.

I am struggling to walk the fine line between keeping the fire low enough just to maintain heat, and yet not to cool the fireplace too much so as to maintain efficient fire. I was hoping to learn how to use the thermometer reading to regulate this.

Thanks again,
Zevi.

Status
Not open for further replies.