Some Times You Just Want to Shake Them

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Just got back from a house call to look at Solar Collectors. What was advertised was solar collector, four available, best offer. It took awhile for us to connect with work and other commitments, so we did it on a Sunday afternoon.

Let me set the stage:
House - 2,400 sf, built in late 70's extra insulation and some unique energy features.
Owner - Late 20's couple with a child extra family members total 7.
Owner is a journeyman electrician.
Owner has friends in the HVAC industry who have helped him acquire a high efficient furnace and AC heat pump, I think.
Owner can't be bothered fixing or using the solar system in the house.

Now the scenario:

I was looking for a small solar system to heat water at the shop. Responded to a local classified for solar panels, setting the appointment. I was met at the door and told we'd have to go out back to see the panels, they were still installed. When we got out back, there on the roof were four panels, 4ft by 10ft. They appeared to be very high quality closed loop panels for water, not electric. He said the controls were downstairs, I asked if he was using them. He said, "No". He explained, he wanted to sell the collectors and would sell the controls downstairs, and even the tank, but that may be a problem.

I am going to shorten the next segment. We went downstairs and there was a 300 to 500 gallon, heavily insulated fiberglass tank. At some point last year it had leaked, or there was a leak, assumed to be the tank. He had it all disconnected. I am not a solar expert and most of what I know is second hand, but what I saw was:
A dual system closed loop heating system. There are two separate circulating pumps for the collectors on two zones in the storage tank. There are two separate outlet systems, one plumbed and being used for domestic hot water, one capped. Two zone thermostats on the controller, two circuits on tank and collectors and more controls that I would not expect to see, such as a pressure to tank (the kind on a well pump), an automatic air vent for the system, two check valves at each pump to prevent loss of water from collectors or back pressure into the collectors, all copper plumbing, two sets of supplemental connectors (one to an electric water heater - in use), two copper lines capped at the tank, according to the simple diagram he had, for connecting to a wood stove, A digital controller, all piping was insulated.

What I saw was enough capacity to not just heat water, but heat the house, garage and the neighbors. The problem was he had a leak onto the floor and he couldn't find anyone to work on it. No solar folks, but he never called a plumber...........

Now the push, he wants it gone, because he can't be bothered. He also wants to get rid of the stove in a family room. He's never burned the stove, and I can understand why. It's a pre-EPA Earth stove, about a 3 c.f box, but it has somethings I have never seen. First I noticed no manual controls, except a fresh air diverter. On closer inspection it did not have a fan, but had an electrical connection that went to a three position switch. Inspecting the stove I saw what I think to be a secondary burn system from the bottom of the firebox up the back. And it was plumbed with water heating tubes and outlets from the back that have never been connected. He wants the stove gone too.

So as far as I can tell we have a solar heating system that got half way done say around 1990. The water was done, but everything suggests it was ready for base board heat, but the owner after spending $12,000 stopped (that according to the realtor). I think he ran out of money. And the current owner wants it gone.

I spent an hour and a half talking about what he has. All the solar parts, less a leak in his tank, or a connection. He has never explored what's wrong. He has the potential for adding based board distribution units and zoning for his home, he has friends in the HVAC industry to do the work and get the parts, but he doesn't get it. I asked what his fuel bill was last December? He didn't know, but $300 wasn't out of range for the Winter Months. I asked what his electric was, didn't know, but he wasn't happy, I agreed with seven in the house and using electricity it couldn't be cheap. They use gas for the stove, so the "extra appliances" are a big part of the electric bill. I asked him if he's like to save at least a few and maybe several hundred a month by getting the system up and running and he said, so one wants to work on it, and he can't be bothered.

I talked to near exhaustion and realized that he didn't understand that two small pumps on the collector system and a pressure pump and circulator pump on the heating side can replace the electric water heater, the forced air heat system, and provided a very comfortable temperature for pennies a day.

I left him with a promise, I would find out about his stove and whether there was a market. It is a beast, ugly, uniquely plumbed and requires electricity to operate. You all can help. And I would try to find someone to help him with his system. We have several major schools with enviromental studies programs that would probably tackle his situation.

Is it his age, or background that is stopping him from going green???? Add a few solar electric collectors and this place is ready to drop of the grid. Why can't more people be like Corie....

Guess I can only do so much.

Won't do you much good to fix his system - the first time he needs to spend some money on it or do some additional maintenance, he will probably let it die again. Better you take the panels off his hands and sell them or put them on your place.

That Earth Stove had a bimetallic draft control which is probably hidden from site either on a sheet metal box on the front door, or in the rear somewhere.

The answer is simple. Energy is still way too cheap and readily available.

I know very few people that look beyond the next can of beer.

When people post on this board looking for payback periods from installing alternative energy systems (like solar hot water), they usually do their calculations based on today's energy rates. When using today's rates, the investment return does not look good.

I suggest when doing your payback calculations, that you double whatever your bill is now for a 5 year forecast, and triple it for 10.

Huh...... Beer..... Did someone say beer? :lol:

Boy, I wish I was closer. I'd take that system off his hands in a heart beat.

Sounds like one hell of a system and an owner who just doesn't care...why on earth did you leave that place without putting the panels in your truck?

mayhem said:
Sounds like one hell of a system and an owner who just doesn't care...why on earth did you leave that place without putting the panels in your truck?

The system is still there. Going to try and make a convert of the owner, if not, may need to load the van, the trailer and a few more trucks with the piping, valves, pumps, tanks and collectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.