Someone has broken in! Things aren't the way I left them! (New forum layout)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to get on earlier this evening and gave up - too long to load. At 11:15 EST, it loaded fine. Not sure why this would happen, just posting in case it might help.

Speed is a little better.

Along with location, post count and join date are gone.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Speed is much better. Well done.

Don't think out of woods yet. Host still monitoring. Still some server issues and will slow as more activity but working on it.

Speed seems to be better . . . noticed that now in addition to the location the join date and post count are gone. Truthfully, I like these things -- location helps when someone in a particular area is trying to identify a tree species in that area (I have no idea of what types of trees grow in California for example, but I'm pretty good at trees in New England) . . . join date is nice so folks can see if a person posting a comment has been around for a while and as a consequence may know a thing or two about woodstoves and burning wood . . . post count is . . . well . . . I guess that's a guilty pleasure . . . showing one just how much time they "waste" away here on the internet when they could be out cutting or splitting wood. ;)

I still wish there had been a way to only show threads with new posts when making the revision . . . i.e. I had actually viewed most every thread in the areas that interested me (i.e. Woodshed, Hearth, DIY, Gear, etc.) so that every time I logged on fresh I could easily tell if that section had new posts.

Reactions: vinny11950
First post in the new format! Yay.

Getting used to it. Logged in last night and didn't like it much (thought Microsoft had redesigned it!). But this morning I am liking it better - guess I am getting used to it. I think it was the same with the last update a few years ago.

Thank you to Webfish and the staff for keeping this place running.

noticed that now in addition to the location the join date and post count are gone. Truthfully, I like these things -- location helps when someone in a particular area is trying to identify a tree species in that area (I have no idea of what types of trees grow in California for example, but I'm pretty good at trees in New England) .

Got it. ( 12 times) It will be back. Might take a day or two as other issues are more pressing.

Webfish, so uhh, can you put the location back?

Would be nice if the top/bottom scroll was on at all times. Only appears after you use some other scroll function, then have to mouse over before it disappears.

Great! Speed is much better today too and hasn't really been an issue.

Speed was a lot better this morning... slower now with Sunday night traffic, but not as bad as it was.

Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem to remember my login between browser sessions even when "stay log in" is selected.

Speed was a lot better this morning... slower now with Sunday night traffic, but not as bad as it was.

Another thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem to remember my login between browser sessions even when "stay log in" is selected.

I've had that issue for years when using firefox. Not a problem on chrome. For some reason, the browser decided to fulfill my wishes and actually remember me this summer...... No clue why, but it did.... Now it's not again.

On a different computer, where I use the same version of firefox, I don't have this issue. I swore I had the configurations for firefox the same on both, but I guess not.

In all, it's a problem that seems to happen to some and not others and not related to this move in particular.

pen

With the change of software and server I would try clearing the browser cache and cookies and then logging back in. The forum software has to plant a cookie on your browser to enable staying logged in. And the one there now is probably from the old software version. Just an educated guess.

Bart, you are sooooo smart. I tried that.
Last night after the upgrade, the site was extremely slow.
This morning in NJ between 6 and 9 AM lightning fast, great.
I am in Houston now (no wood stoves here) and again slower than my 85 year old mother can wall paper her house from her wheelchair.

Ya, it remembered me a few times this morning, then forgot who I was tonight. Can't say that I blame the software, I prefer to be forgettable. I think it will take a week for everything to settle in and most of us can't remember for more than a few days. Just sayin ....

Well, things got better this morning. The response of the site is excellent again. Pages open very fast. Great !!
Also nice to see is that the locations under the avatar are back.

I see that the 'path' is now at the top of the page. I found one at the bottom useful; When I got to the end of a thread, I could just hit the forum name and get a refreshed topic page. As it is, I have to either go back to the top of the page to get to the path, or right-click, hit 'back,' then reload the page.

It's now really easy to see which threads have posts I haven't read yet. Speed is back. Liking the changes better all the time. :)
Kudos to webfish on a job well done. :cool:
But dammit, where is my straight smirk smiley? Can I take the smirk with shades into Paint, erase the shades, and draw in eyes? ;lol

It's good to see some nit-picking.... Means the big stuff is working!

I'm no IT guy, but in my own terms I see where we are at now (now that the big job is complete) as being similar to getting a new computer or phone..... Yea, it's supposed to do what the old one did, but takes some time to get it there and then also make use of the new abilities.

In the long run, just remember this sort of thing isn't done on a whim, and is for the longevity and safety of this resource.

You've got too much free time on your hands.
I really don't. There are plenty of other things around here that could use my attention, but I'm really fond of loafing on the computer. Is that so wrong? ;lol

Got it. ( 12 times) It will be back. Might take a day or two as other issues are more pressing.

What a gutsy call doing the change right before heating season. Good that fish don't sweat. ;lol

Kudos for getting everything going so quickly again. That must have been a hell of a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.