Somerset pellet advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adamcolvin99

Jul 29, 2017
Pikeville, TN
Hey folks, I'm new to pellet heating, and just bought my first pellet stove a Pelpro PP60 for my 1200 square foot house.

I have spent quite a bit of time researching pellet heating, and it seems that success can hinge on finding quality pellets.

The best price and quality combo I can find in my area is Somerset hardwood pellets. I am a couple hours from their factory and have been quoted $200/ton out the door. I have a box truck, so I should be able to make the trip for about $50 in fuel and get the whole winter's worth.

However some recent reviews on somersets are split over whether they are actually a good quality or not. Should I just wait for my area TSC or Lowe's to get stock and see if they are any good for my stove, or would y'all stock up on Somerset?

Area prices are closer to $250-90 from stores for whichever brand that they'll stock this season.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Best way to find out how a brand of pellet will work in your stove is to try some. Grab a few bags of what ever is available and make some ash. The difference between a junk pellet and a good pellet will be noticeable. With that being said, I know nothing about your stove. This is my second year burning Somerset pellets. I find them to be above average as a mid-tier hardwood pellet. I too have read the recent reviews on them. Not cold enough for me to fire the stove up to check out this years supply yet. Have a few bags left over from last year to compare. I'm thinking/hoping the different results were from the stoves and they're install, not the pellets. My brother has been burning Somersets in his old Whitfield insert for years with great results. The local Menards by me has had Somersets for 2 years now that I'm aware of. About the same price your getting, Less with their 11% rebate when available. Unless your stove is persnickety, you should be just fine with the 'Sets.

I've burned sets several times in the last 4 years with good to excellent results every time.
Ron

Hi there!

The first year with our pellet stove, hubs and I experimented with different brands of pellets and found out that Somerset brand burned best in our pellet stove. The following year we ended up getting a ton (that is all we burn in a season) and now we are unable to find Somerset in our area.
I would recommend you get few bags and compare before you narrow it down to a brand.