Somerset Pellet Quality

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tmiller164

Nov 27, 2014
Ohio
I scheduled a service on my p35i insert today (wont run on auto, constant temp only (checked wires, cleaned, swept, another post for another day on the head scratcher on this one)) dealer asked what pellets Ive been burning.
Told them Somersets like I have been for the past few years, never a major issue other than the occasional bag of fines. They went into a tangent about how Somerset has been using so much oil to get their costs down. Dealer said look for any hardwood pellet under 3% oil additive..... I emailed Somerset to see if I could see a QA Doc. Bag says <2% vegetable oil.
Anyone have any input?
I'm skeptical because my dealer sells American Hardwoods and well.... you all know a salesperson, smack anything you don't sell.
PFI didn't have much info on their website i could find about the use of Veggie oil....

Happy Holidays All.
Tyler

News to me. Somerset pellets is a division of Somerset Hardwood Flooring in Somerset, Kentucky and they use culled lumber from their flooring mill as well as forestry slash from their owned forest lands.. No recycled pallets, no junk wood, all their own stuff. They may add oil in the extrusion process to produce a better pellet but it has to be minimal. I've alternated between them and Michigan Hardwood, for years now with no issues.

The pelletizing at Somerset Hardwood Flooring is a totally value added facet of their milled lumber business. There would be no incentive to add 'additional vegetable oil' to keep costs down. No viable reason at all.

Besides, at ignition temperatures in the fuel bed in a pellet stove, any vegetable oil additive will be completely consumed anyway.

I think the drummer that told you that is FOS.

oil is used in the manufacture of wood pellets, along with other types of binders. now if they used to much the pellets would ignite easyer. the addatives do add to the cleanliness of the burn, and i would go out on a limb and say most mfgrs' are using the same

Reactions: Harmanizer
oil is used in the manufacture of wood pellets, along with other types of binders. now if they used to much the pellets would ignite easyer. the addatives do add to the cleanliness of the burn, and i would go out on a limb and say most mfgrs' are using the same
I happen to own an extruder and I have extruded my own pellets in the past though it's not an economically feasible operation. I bought one to extrude wheat straw pellets not wood and yes I did have to add a bit of vegetable oil to keep them together.

With no binder except the lignin in the wood itself, they won't stay together well and you wind up with a lot of fines in the bag. Having said that corn don't need any binder at all....lol

What is the actual problem? Is the igniter not wanting to light the pellets? Or poor performance and the stove wanting to go out with a 6 status blink? Also post a pic of you igniter cradle. Did you end up with one of the flip latch cradles or do you have the 2 5/16" hex head screws on the front of your burnpot. If you have a flip latch cradle the igniter can drop down some and cause issues. Need a little more specific info to really help

What is the actual problem? Is the igniter not wanting to light the pellets? Or poor performance and the stove wanting to go out with a 6 status blink? Also post a pic of you igniter cradle. Did you end up with one of the flip latch cradles or do you have the 2 5/16" hex head screws on the front of your burnpot. If you have a flip latch cradle the igniter can drop down some and cause issues. Need a little more specific info to really help
The stove will run on Constant temp, just not auto. When ever I turn it on Auto it runs for a few seconds, thinks for a second, and then has a series of flashes. 3,4,5,6, flashes, no pattern. Constant temp will fire up and ignite no problem whatsoever.

Sounds like your room sensing probe may be bad. They are cheap and just plug into the back of the stove. Check your connection and make sure it is secure