Something Happened Yesterday.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
"Something happened yesterday" that I will try to describe the best I can, and let you folks diagnose it........

I had the wood stove burning on Friday night, and re-lit it again Saturday morning really early (like 4 A.M.) and let it go out after that. We had to go get groceries Saturday morning (around 7:30) so I figured I'd come back after that, and re-light it as necessary.

When we got home from grocery shopping, the fire was mostly out (except for the obvious embers that will typically stay within the bed of ash for hours after a visible burn is done).

There was a party at our house, scheduled for 3 that afternoon, and the temps were not going to be cold here, so I didn't re-light the fire again all day.

Once the house was full of people, and we were sitting around the living room, I decided that our 2 year old grandson might enjoy performing for the folks, and I know he likes to "help Pepére" (me) build a fire. So I gave him some newspaper pages to crunch up and toss into the penned area that surrounds the wood stove (one of those child fences we have for protecting young hands from the hot stove). He LOVES to crunch up the newspaper.........gets such a HUGE grin on his face. He really "gets off" on doing this!

Then naturally, the next thing he likes to do is get the kindling pieces and put them between the bars of the kid fence, because he knows from my teaching him, that that's part of the process of building a fire, (I was not intending to actually BUILD a fire this time), and he didn't seem content to just put the things in there, but also wanted me to put them in the wood stove.

So I put in the 3 pieces of small kindling, and the scrunched up newspapers, and closed the door. This seemed to satisfy him (or pacify him), and so I left things as they were.

The conversations continuing around me, with all the folks in the room, and perhaps 15 minutes later I happened to glance over at the stove, and the entire stove area was filled with smoke, and THERE WAS SMOKE LEAKING OUT AROUND THE COLLAR WHERE THE STOVE PIPE MEETS THE STOVE!!

Obviously I realized that apparently there were STILL embers in the ash on the bottom of the stove, from the morning burn that were alive, and the paper was attempting to burn. I opened the front door of our house (located in the same room as the wood stove), for air flow, (obviously this meant keeping a watch on the door because we had 2 year old grandchildren running around), and opened the door of the wood stove just a crack.

This seemed to be the most logical action.........to try and get some air flow into the stove. (the damper was fully open), because what appeared to have happened, was that there was just enough smoldering ember to build the smoke, but not enough air to trigger the flame, and .......since there was not a heat increase at that point, there was no draft happening, and all the smoke was just building up within the stove.

I told you all that, to help you understand the fundamentals of what happened yesterday.......but my question and concern, is about the smoke that I saw swirling out around the OUTSIDE collar of the stove, between the stove and the flue pipe.

I suppose that if you get THAT much smoke in the wood stove, with no place to go, (because draft had not started, up the chimney) that it would build up to such an extent that it would need to find places to go,...........but what disturbs me, (and makes me nervous), is that it found a way out between the stove and chimney!!!

I have questions now, like:

A) Is there ALWAYS a certain percentage of Carbon Monoxide coming out between
my stove and chimney pipe, OUTSIDE the stove? (My CO Detectors don't go off, and didn't go off)
B) Did the build up of smoke that happened yesterday, that found its way out between the stove and
chimney flue, break some sort of seal or bond between the two, and now the stove is compromised
and needs repair?

Naturally, once I introduced some air to the situation, the flames started. And because there were so many people in the house, and the temps in the house were such that I didn't need a fire, I let the small fire die out quickly, so as to not drive everyone out, because of the unnecessary heat.

Our grandson was thrilled of course.......not realizing the situation, .....he just stood there totally proud of himself, for having built his own fire.

Should I be concerned about the condition of the stove at this point? Did the smoke that found its way out between the stove and pipe collar show me an issue that needs correction? (By the way, the volume of smoke coming out was more than a whisp, ......there was substance to it).

YOU be the judge!

-Soupy1957

I have had the same type of situation, tossed in some bark and kindling preparing to make a fire and then walked away distracted. The whole thing filled with smoke and even pushed smoke back out the air intake on the back, making it look like smoke was coming out from all angles. Are the connections from the stove to the black pipe air tight? Not at all. For my stove the pipe simply lays on top of the stove. I can see how smoke would come out from that area. Given the situation, mild day, no draft, lots of smoke and no air to feed it, I bet 99% of stove owners would have the same issue as you.

Soupy, No doubt the warm day and old embers got the paper smoldering with nowhere to exhaust to. That sounds normal to me for that situation.
As for the smoke coming out, I'd say that is normal also. I filled my stove with smoke last year and couldn't believe all the places it seeped out of. Hardly airtight connections there.
Maybe it warrants sealing around the collar. Don't know.
As for CO spillage, I don't think that would be an issue unless you're not drafting, like yesterday. With a good draft, CO should stay in the pipe.

EDIT: Oh, and it might have been a ghost coming out of your stove! Happy Halloween.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Many stove pipe connections aren't airtight, but still don't leak at all when there's a proper draft. And smoke itself wouldn't have damaged anything on your stove. You might see smoke as a symptom of another, more serious problem, like your paint/enamel beginning to smoke and burn during a serious overfire or smoke pouring out the loading door if you have a blocked chimney, but smoke by itself is just ... Smokey!

Burn on!

thanks for the re-assurance folks...........it got me worried there. I guess I figured my stove was more air tight than that.

Based on that, it's amazing to me how a good draft keeps that from happening on a regular basis when burning.

I burned a small fire this morning, ("just to get the chill out" as they say) and all went fine.

-Soupy1957

Sounds pretty normal to me as well, without a draft the smoldering smoke is just languishing there thinking...'now what?' It'll probably never happen again unless you choose to make it so.

Yeah Mr Pepere...same issue just happen last week with my stove but from a cold start. I did the same things you did and I believe I had smoke coming out of the air intake.

Based on the smoke you had and only a whisper of smoking coming out of the pipe I don't think you are leaking all the time.

For peace of mind move the CO Detectors by the pipe with a fire going see if it goes off...mine has a long cord so I can do that but I know not all of them have that.

When it happen to me, I could feel the cold air coming down the chimney and new I should of kept both doors open a little more but my coffee was calling...Hope your party was fun...
md

All was okay this morning and I would expect it to do the same for you the next time. You just learned that your chimney needs a hot fire to get the draft started. Yet, I'm amazed that all that newspaper did not burn hot enough to get the draft going. However, you did not expect a fire so I'm guessing you did not have the draft set full open. That would explain it if this is the case.

Backwoods Savage: I did not "expect" a fire because I figured the embers were long ago "extinguished" by the time I put the paper and kindling in the stove. Draft was fully open. If I were intending a fire, I would have put in a Super Cedar, and lit a match.

Lighting Up: Nope, I typically DON'T see smoke from other places (like on top, where the pipe meets the stove.......and it was
substantial.

Savageactor7: Yep, I probably WON'T let those same circumstances occur again. (Not if I can help it, anyway).

FixedGearFlyer: That's my new lesson learned, that the wood stove connections are not meant to be (apparently) "air tight" by
design.

TroubleChaser: Agree. It doesn't happen when I'm setting a fire on purpose. I get good draft, typically.

SKIN052: In some strange way, it's actually comforting to know that it is not an uncommon occurrence to see smoke coming from
places I don't expect it. Not that I want to repeat the performance, mind you!

-Soupy1957

Soupy, glad all is well.

You can also keep in mind that if the flue and stove were all air-tight, then the smoke would simply come backwards through the draft hole. That gets interesting!

So instead of the grandson "performing" for the guests I guess you were the main entertainment, huh? :) ;)

As others have said, you learned an important lesson yesterday -- a lesson in drafts and how the draft is affected by warmer temps.

I have to laugh - sorry - but I think I know exactly how you feel. At least these types of things are generally fairly safe all in all. The smoke is annoying and having it happen in front of a group is embarrassing I'm sure.

I had something like this happen to me last season. I like to lay my fires the night before if possible (obviously assuming I'm not burning at night). One evening I thought the stove was cold and I went to laying the fire. I was close to done when I noticed a bit of smoke and not long after there was a flame in the firebox. Clearly there was a coal in there that I managed to kick up and it just must have landed in the right spot against a dry enough split to get burning. I had a fire that night.

What I learned from that is that my father was right (gasp) all those years ago when we were camping - he always told me that you can never be sure a campfire is out unless it is completely buried/soaked/etc and cold to the touch all over AND that it only takes the smallest coal to start a fire. I've also become a bit more careful about laying a fire when I'm not planning on lighting it - if the stove is at all warm (fire in last 3 days) then I probably won't build it early.

Just to make you feel better, here's a funny story...

One time, I was trying to start a barbecue fire for Memorial Day. I COULD NOT get the charcoal to light- it was left over from last year and had probably gotten wet, but it was still fine charcoal and would dry... so what do I do? Put it back in the paper bag. Why? Because I was an idiot, that's why. =P

Needless to say, they had gotten hot enough to burn the paper and the bag merrily burst into flames. Live and learn!

~Rose

If I have 2'' of ash in the Clydesdale, I can still have hot coals for 36 hours(learned that the hard way). Ken

soupy1957 said:
"Should I be concerned about the condition of the stove at this point? Did the smoke that found its way out between the stove and pipe collar show me an issue that needs correction? (By the way, the volume of smoke coming out was more than a whisp, ......there was substance to it).

YOU be the judge!

-Soupy1957

Based on my understanding, an air leak in a stove pipe connection is not something to worry about from a safety standpoint. When the stove has an established fire in it, the draft creates a negative pressure (slight vacuum) in the chimney; air will leak from the room into the chimney, not leak smoke or CO into the room. The possible rare exception that I have experienced was under certain strong and gusty wind conditions, with my old install, the draft would occasionally reverse for a fraction of a second and a small wisp of smoke would leak from a pipe connection or even the stove itself. It was a rare occurrence during a storm and really no big deal.

Now, back to your situation: if it were my stove, I would probably get stove cement and seal the pipe connections- not for safety, but because those air leaks make starting fire on mild days take longer to get established, as any air leaks in the chimney system weaken the already marginal draft. The chimney will pull air though the leak and less air gets drawn into the stove to feed the beginning fire. With a hot stove and once you are burning 24/7, those small leaks do not really matter. Seal the joints or do nothing, either way you will be fine.

Hanko's right, you type too much.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.