Something New

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
When I open my side door slowly to load wood with my damper open, I get a pretty high draft. When it calms and the door is fully open I get a crackling sound in the stove pipe. When I close the door it stops instantly. What is going on?

It sounds like your stove pipe is heating up. It will ting and crackle as it heats up and cools down.

That can be a sign of creosote burning off in the pipe. I'd double check the wood, it doesn't sound like it's as seasoned as expected. Take a few hefty splits and split them in half. Test the fresh surface for moisture with a meter or place it up against your cheek and see if it feels cool and damp.

did you just have your chimney cleaned? I have that crackling in my pipe now after getting my chimney cleaned. I think some of the tuck got knocked down into my stove pipe and when my stove really takes off, I can here it bouncing around in there.

jlow - i think that is the healthy sound of "burning hot to keep from gunking up".

At least that's what I tell myself is happening in mine...

bought a load of maple yesterday. Been burning ash and oak that i had for a while. will this crackling subside? Should I smack the stovepipe to break some of this stuff loose?

Status
Not open for further replies.