Sometimes all you have to do is ask.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
Had some high winds last week in my area. Didn't see any big trees down anywhere; but last Wed evening standing outside talking to my neighbor you could hear a chainsaw going about a block or so away. Since it was already dark out it seemed that it could only mean one thing....a tree had fallen and they had to get it cut! Took a drive later and saw a backyard all lit up with lights and there was a big tree being worked on...all that was left was the main trunk standing about 50' tall. I found it strange to not see any tree service trucks but figured it was a brave homeowner saving some cash; away I went.

The next morning, on my way out to work I drove past to see what was left since I was sure there was no way they got it all down at 9:00pm; but it was long gone! Saw lots of brush so I took a shot and left a note on his mailbox saying if there was any logs 8" or larger to just give me a call and I would be happy to take them free of charge. A day later, my phone rings, its the homeowner who is happy as hell to have me come over and take a look; ended up he had two 10' long x 36" diameter pieces that he didn't want to keep along with some other small stuff. He was going to cut the rest up for his fireplace. His neighbor has a wood stove but said it was too much work for him and even let me and my buddy pull the truck and trailer on his property to load up! Ended up with two trailer loads and got a call that we may be back to pick up about half of what he wanted to keep! Turns out there was a tree service there, they came over in their car since they weren't taking away any of the wood. Just needed their rigging and chainsaw! Not a bad haul for two blocks away!

...yea, I know...post pics or it didn't happen! Will do once I get space on my camera!

Sounds like a great score! What brand wood?

I was told it was a Chinese elm tree. Oh yea, the tree guy told the homeowner that it was the good type of wood to burn anytime even when it's green; it will burn good! (yea right!) This is for next season anyhow; maybe even later depending upon what I scrounge this winter and next spring. There was A LOT of water and this oozing yellowish sap. I'm not picky as to what I burn; as long as it's free; then there is no regrets as to money lost, just my time and right now I am still at the apprentice level of wood burning so I don't mind spending a little extra time getting the experience with various types of wood; I rather enjoy having the opportunity rather than saying "NO! Only oak, maple, ash or cherry!"

Edit: I forgot to grab a branch of leaves, but they were small teardrop shaped in clusters of three as I remember. The homeowner did mention that the tree was good for a bunch of branches falling every time the wind blew. On this occasion, a very large 10" diameter branch had first fallen from the top but luckily got stopped by the tree itself as it came to rest on his house causing no damage, but that was his clue to cut the thing down before it all fell. Cost him $450 for the entire tree; $250 for them to climb it and remove the fallen limb.

heatit, don't you know you should not trust the Chinese? You know what junk they are sending over here! Maybe you should load up that trailer and head over this way. We have some acreage and could possibly find a place to dump that junk then you wouldn't have to put up with it.

If I ever do load up a trailer it will be with all our belongings to move to acreage! We would love to have room like you always talk about...plenty of space to store all that Chinese crap! ;-P

heatit said:
: I forgot to grab a branch of leaves, but they were small teardrop shaped in clusters of three as I remember.

Groups of three let it be...Just sayin if you are itching later you will know why
can't trust them Chinese calling poision ivy elm or some crap

Status
Not open for further replies.