Soot in Cleanout is it too much

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
After 24/7 burning for 2 months I went down cellar and checked the cleanout of our masonary chimney which is about 35 feet from basement and about 23 feet above top of stove, it is an inside chimney clay lined, anyway I found about 1/2 of a coffee can of black fine soot. Is this bad, I cannot get on roof to look down chimney.

Sounds like everything is working fine to me. Some soot stays in the chimney and some falls back down. When the sun is shining use a mirror to look up the chimney from inside the clean-out to see what it looks like on up.

Go to an auto parts store and ask for an inspection mirror... stick in the cleanout and loop "UP" the chimney, like the man said.

The inspection mirror makes it easier... just a round mirror on what looks like a radio antennae... extend it and stick it in there. My arms are long enough to reach in, but it's easier with the mirror. :)

I would sweep the whole system & then ask the question...especially since this is your first year of burning (I think)

Diabel said:
I would sweep the whole system & then ask the question...especially since this is your first year of burning (I think)

can i sweep without going on the roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.