soot on window fo pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gsxr-rider137

Oct 27, 2008
connecticut
i recently bought and installed a breckwell P2001 fireplace insert pellet stove. the issue i have is soot on the window. the manual says common issues are damper not being open enough,,and pellet auger speed too slow.. i opened the damper 1/2 more and increased the flow of pellets. still i have soot that forms and the top of the windows and seems to flow downward..almost looking like stalagites that form in caves..dripping from the ceiling.. what else can i do to stop the soot from forming on the window??

You'll always have soot when running on the lower settings. Turn it up and it burns cleaner without soot.

I clean mine everyday...

I’m sure it’s not recommended, but I just open it up when it is running and wipe it a few times (two seconds worth) dry towel of course :) that keeps it looking nice while it is running. Then I’ll just give it a good cleaning when I shut her down.

Grey soot on the Glass is normal
if you have Black soot or a sticky build up then you have a Problem, Air adjustment or with air leak from the door or ash pan.

kast said:
I’m sure it’s not recommended, but I just open it up when it is running and wipe it a few times (two seconds worth) dry towel of course :) that keeps it looking nice while it is running. Then I’ll just give it a good cleaning when I shut her down.

^^^^^^ I do this too.

I think most stove glass soots up quicker when the stove
runs on low settings.

I have the p2000fs and i get the same upside down Stalagtite look on the glass running on the #2 setting.Removed my log kit and tried different damper settings with no luck.I'll have to keep the rags handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.