SootEater rods for tile breaker?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EmberEnergy

Aug 18, 2021
Maryland
I need to knock out a lower section of terracotta tiles so a round 6" flex liner with insulation can fit down my existing masonry chimney. The top two sections of my 15' chimney are 12x12", but the last section constricts to what looks like 8x12".

I plan on getting a SootEater for regular cleaning of my liner. I was going to get a one of those small 4x4" double tile breakers. I'm wondering if I could use the rods that come with the SootEater to connect the tile breaker to break out tiles rather than get a new set of steel rods just for the tile breaking, or is that asking for a broken/damaged rod?

I break my steel rods running a breaker fairly often.

Reactions: EmberEnergy
I break my steel rods running a breaker fairly often.
Oh no kidding...I thought maybe a nice heavy duty set of fiberglass rods would do it...maybe not, huh?