Sooteater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Been using a manual brush for years. Thinking about trying out this product. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. I have a 6” stainless steel liner (not smooth walled). Any chance it could damage it? If anyone uses it, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

I use the sooteater and it works great. I can't imagine how it could damage the liner - its just nylon line and fiberglass rods. Makes life easy when you do it from the bottom up - no more climbing on the roof.

I use the sooteater and it works great. I can't imagine how it could damage the liner - its just nylon line and fiberglass rods. Makes life easy when you do it from the bottom up - no more climbing on the roof.
What he said !!

Only bad thing I have to say about sooteater is they aren’t super flexible. They can do a 45 just fine but I’ve broken them trying to brush a chimney through a breach hole.

Bought one last year. Quick and easy. I do top down because I live in a ranch and just close the stove door to prevent a mess. 15 minute job. Start to finish.

Reactions: blacktail
I've been following sooteater reviews for a bunch of years and i never heard of one busting a liner.

Before sooteater.....and after sooteater. Amazing little tool. Did it from the bottom up. Hardly no mess with the draft pulling everything up the chimney.

Attachments

• D005AFD8-CA83-4C6B-9823-711E153C5F16.jpeg
    D005AFD8-CA83-4C6B-9823-711E153C5F16.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 5004E85E-EE72-434D-AF95-0910A8FBCFE8.jpeg
    5004E85E-EE72-434D-AF95-0910A8FBCFE8.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 113
Only negative reviews are from professional chimney sweeps. JK. Great product. Bought 2 kits which was cheaper than extension kit on Amazon

Just finished cleaning my 21 ft liner with one. Was wayyyy dirtier than I was hoping. A little more than a gallon of mostly black soot and glossy flakes.

The dents in the liner was to squeeze through a flue plate.

I’ll admit I was burning with sub prime red oak last yr (financial reasons) mixed with dry maple.

This year should be much cleaner. Burning 10 month stacked ash, 2 yr red oak and 2 yr maple/elm for shoulder seasons.

Top down cleaning yield:

D5B8B11C-76C2-4356-914C-06FAF19BD97A.jpeg 434E9AB6-2091-4991-81DF-10984C455AA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: vanubee
The rods are nylon.

Fiberglass may be flexible but the cured polyester or epoxy resin usually is not.
They do not recommend using the rods thru a thimble or T as the rods, although flexible, are not flexible enough while it is spinning . There's nothing to damage a liner EXCEPT the metal snap connectors so it's not a good idea to use it on anything but the flex liner which usually doesn't have any sharp bends.