Sound deadening material between hearth and floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P38X2

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2012
Jaffrey, NH
Anyone have suggestions on what material I can put down to decouple the stove/hearth from the floor? I'm OK with the whirr of the fans directly from the stove but the vibes are being transferred into my tile floor and causing the floor to resonate a bit. The stove is in a corner which amplifies the sound of the motors as is, but on the plus side, it's on an outside corner over a couple joists, 1 1/4" of glued and screwed subfloor and the tile. Still, IMO, it could be quieted down quite a bit with the proper material. The question is WHAT?

My first thought was to use a bunch of silicone baking mats under the hearth...but that could get expensive in a hurry. My next idea was to use 8-10 tubes of high temp silicone and spread it with a 1/4" notch trowel, but that could also get fairly expensive...but may work well. Then I thought to use Dynamat. Take 2 sheets of the foil coated stuff, stick em together and foil tape the edges. Who knows, maybe a better idea would be to use several smaller pads, say 1" in diameter?

My hearth is 2'x2' so I was thinking a mat size of 23"x23"x up to 1/4" I have no problem with the hearth looking like it's hovering off the tile 1/4".

Anyone have any ideas they'd like to share? Are there noncombustible industrial mats that I could look into?

If you have a approved hearth pad what you put under it should not matter.

Anyone have suggestions on what material I can put down to decouple the stove/hearth from the floor? I'm OK with the whirr of the fans directly from the stove but the vibes are being transferred into my tile floor and causing the floor to resonate a bit.

Anyone have any ideas they'd like to share? Are there noncombustible industrial mats that I could look into?
Replace electromechanical wanna-be wood stove with a real wood stove? ;hm

(ducking and running)

Replace electromechanical wanna-be wood stove with a real wood stove? ;hm

(ducking and running)
Wiseway is non electric!

If you have a approved hearth pad what you put under it should not matter.
It's a DIY job. No combustibles used. In the unlikely event an ember gets under there and somehow ignites bare Duramat, I don't think my insurance company will be too happy, that's why I wanna use something non combustible. Maybe this is sort of a silly concern as there is wood baseboard just outside the minimum clearance zone.

The question is what do you think will be most effective, if anything?

Dynamat or a similar car audio deadening product should work good. I also thought of neoprene sheeting. Works great for isolation and can be found for cheap on ebay. Normal neoprene is heat resistant up to 250 degrees which should be plenty under your heath pad.

If you go with a deadening sheet, you may want to stick to butyl based products and not asphalt since those can smell when they heat up.

Someone posted using industrial loop carpet under the hearth pad to allow easy moving. Would also do a fair job of isolating the pad from floor.

Something like GE Silicone II should work good also (rated to 400 degrees and remains flexible) but I think you would want to have something to help absorb the load or too much would squeeze out and diminish the isolating effect. Maybe some rubber washers along with it to maintain some clearance. There is probably a better method but that's what came to mind first that seemed like it would work well.

Anyone have suggestions on what material I can put down to decouple the stove/hearth from the floor? I'm OK with the whirr of the fans directly from the stove but the vibes are being transferred into my tile floor and causing the floor to resonate a bit. The stove is in a corner which amplifies the sound of the motors as is, but on the plus side, it's on an outside corner over a couple joists, 1 1/4" of glued and screwed subfloor and the tile. Still, IMO, it could be quieted down quite a bit with the proper material. The question is WHAT?

My first thought was to use a bunch of silicone baking mats under the hearth...but that could get expensive in a hurry. My next idea was to use 8-10 tubes of high temp silicone and spread it with a 1/4" notch trowel, but that could also get fairly expensive...but may work well. Then I thought to use Dynamat. Take 2 sheets of the foil coated stuff, stick em together and foil tape the edges. Who knows, maybe a better idea would be to use several smaller pads, say 1" in diameter?

My hearth is 2'x2' so I was thinking a mat size of 23"x23"x up to 1/4" I have no problem with the hearth looking like it's hovering off the tile 1/4".

You need something that will cancel the frequency range produced by your stoves. The materials referenced will not do that...

Use Sorbothane pads, bumpers, etc for the specific deflection. Here's a good source - http://precisionparts.wmberg.com/vibrationIsolation/

Their SIP-1 would work well...

Thanks, guys. Lots of good sounding ideas. The carpet idea sounds effective and inexpensive. Maybe I could chink in some rockwool between the gap to eliminate any issues there. We're talking commercial stuff like you'd find on a bank floor?...found on giant rolls at a BB store...or as an entry mat from a dollar store, correct?

Good thinking on the asphalt product off gassing when heated. Don't need the fresh scent of a tire fire 24/7.

The Fiberfrax product may not be a bad idea either. I wonder if hot water heater insulation would be a cheaper alternative. May not offer the decoupling I need though.

Don't think I need to get overly specific with any narrowband absorption. I think I'll be able to do this fairly easily. Just wish I'd done it before the install.

Anyway, all good ideas. Thanks

You could get some more molding and go around the base to close the gap.

I just use those rubbery cups that you put under your furniture feet. It wasn't hard to find some that fit the feet of the stove well. Neither the stove legs nor the underside of my stove get anywhere near hot enough to do anything to the rubber pads; however, that might not be true of another heater. They do a good job of decoupling the stove from the tile hearth pad and floor. I'm a fan of rubber for killing vibration conduction. I have hi-temp rubber bushings isolating my auger motor mount from the frame of the stove as well as little ones between the crossflow convection blower and its mount. They all contribute to making the stove significantly quieter overall. I live with a noise freak.

You could get some more molding and go around the base to close the gap.
The only problem with that is I won't know how much whatever I put under there is gonna compress. Like I said, its a corner install. Looks slick but it's a beotch to get in there to work. I have 1 1/2" brushed aluminum flat stock as moulding so I can't just glue it in. Maybe I could silicone it in....hmmm.

Go to the flooring section of a big box store and look at transitional molding. It has a large lip that lays flat on the floor but has the quarter round that will allow your hearth to float but cover the seam.

Reactions: Ashful
Midfielder, I know the cups you're talking about but I don't think they'd work in my application. The P series has sort of a wide flat base to it. I already have a few felt discs under there so it wouldn't gouge the crap out of the polished granite. They do nothing for the noise though. I couldn't use the rubber cups under the hearth unless I used a ton of em fear of cracking it.

Go to the flooring section of a big box store and look at transitional molding. It has a large lip that lays flat on the floor but has the quarter round that will allow your hearth to float but cover the seam.
I'll check it out but I'd like to stay with metal. I can't imagine the hearth sitting a bit proud of the tile will look off. As it is, there are the gaps where the grout lines are.

Comes in various sizes, plastic and metel and colors.

Thanks, guys. Lots of good sounding ideas. The carpet idea sounds effective and inexpensive. Maybe I could chink in some rockwool between the gap to eliminate any issues there. We're talking commercial stuff like you'd find on a bank floor?...found on giant rolls at a BB store...or as an entry mat from a dollar store, correct?

Good thinking on the asphalt product off gassing when heated. Don't need the fresh scent of a tire fire 24/7.

The Fiberfrax product may not be a bad idea either. I wonder if hot water heater insulation would be a cheaper alternative. May not offer the decoupling I need though.

Don't think I need to get overly specific with any narrowband absorption. I think I'll be able to do this fairly easily. Just wish I'd done it before the install.

Anyway, all good ideas. Thanks

If your floor gets hot enough to get a stink from asphalt I hope you have called the fire department...

Status
Not open for further replies.