Source for a splitter tank breather suitable for transport?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I want to replace the lame plug with o-ring on my splitter (not sure of size at this point - it's a HF.)
It would have to be closeable for transport.
Thanks.

don't know the applicaiton, but if a plug with oring, it is likely sae oring port.

http://www.advancedfluidconnectors.com/files/aeroquip_thread_identification_guide.pdf

for thread id.

If you can, I'd use a standard hydraulic adaptor fitting of smoe sort and run a hose up high somewhere, then use a filtered breather. Every cycle in & out, the displaced cylinder rod volume means air goes in & out of the breather. Filter it well. keep it up high to minimize vapor and liquids carrying out. and minimize slosh in tranport.

I would not close it off, (unless it was truly a plug already) as the tank pressure will build up as tank heats, but more importantly go to vacuum as tank cools. Can cavitate the pump, or draw air in pump or cylinder shaft, under certain conditions.

Thanks for the info.
To close it off would be for transport and storage.
The plug that came with the splitter has an o-ring with covers an air hole.
The o-ring gets soft, lost, etc. Plus there is no filtering.

so you have to roll the oring back and forth over the holes in the side? hokey for sure........

any industrial or auto store or hardware will probably have oring assortments. Just make sure it is nitrile/buna N, oil suitable. some hardware stuff is neoprene for water.
but I'd use the breather... just extent it up a bit and you won't likely need to shut it off.

good lluck, kcj

velvetfoot said:
Thanks for the info.
To close it off would be for transport and storage.
The plug that came with the splitter has an o-ring with covers an air hole.
The o-ring gets soft, lost, etc. Plus there is no filtering.

Don't wanna close it off for storage. You want to let it breathe so moisture can get out. Also, o-rings are cheap. If you can't get em' local you can get what you need from McMaster Carr and get em in Viton.

Just working on that today, it's a 3/4" NPT pipe thread, you can get standard schedule 40 elbows and such at any hardware store. I picked up a breather for it at my local hydraulic shop, $20, which may have been a bit pricy, but... It was also much bigger around than the original plug. I put a 2" nipple in the fill pipe hole, then a 45* elbow, which makes the opening mostly vertical, and put the breather cap in that. Looks a bit hokey, but should work a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.